Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Intermittent Starting Problems

Old June 17th, 2014, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Intermittent Starting Problems

Did a quick search but couldn't find anything similar.

About two weeks ago I had an issue starting my 2007 Suburban 4x4 LTZ 5.3L with about 80k miles on it. It turned over about 10 times. Scared me so I turned the key off. Almost immediately tried again and it started the first (or second) turn of the engine like normal. No issue for many days. Since it has done it about 4 more times. The last time my wife said she did not turn the key off and back on and it eventually started. Always starts so far...

It never does it first thing in the morning, or whenever we first take it out of the garage. It is almost always the first time it is restarted when taking it out. It does not happen every day. It seems to be happening more frequently.

This may be related...I have had a check engine light for an emissions leak. Changed the gas cap and vent solenoid as suggested online. The CEL went away for a few weeks. The first time (and only the first time) the starting issue happened we got the code for emissions leak again. I considered it could have been something to do with the non-OEM gas cap and taking the vehicle out in the heat (gas expansion and gas cap won't relieve pressure) so I put a new OEM gas cap on. It has since done it again.

Any thoughts? Thanks for looking.
Old June 17th, 2014, 8:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try running some fuel system cleaner through it. bg 44k is a pretty good one, but hard to get unless you order online. chevron techron is good too i heard

just found this sale

http://www.fatwallet.com/Advance-Aut...65740/71664-3/

Last edited by trainwreck91; June 17th, 2014 at 8:32 PM.
Old June 18th, 2014, 5:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the fuel pressure is leaking down when you turn it off. The fact that it is intermittent is a problem. When you experience extended cranking, just leave the key in the on position for a few seconds. That will give the fuel pump time to build pressure, then it should start normally. If fuel pressure is the actual problem.....
Old June 18th, 2014, 10:24 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel pump is going bad......same thing happened to me. Get it changed. The dealer can hook up something to check the fuel pressure and mine was dropping and wasn't priming correctly.