Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Sub - would you buy ext. warranty

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2015, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Sub - would you buy ext. warranty

I was looking at buying an even older suburban but ended up buying 2007 with 118k. I don't have the complete service records so I'm not sure exactly what has been done on it. That said, I can buy an extended warranty through my Credit Union from Route 66. They are offering 4 years 48k miles for $2100. It covers the major stuff and a lot of little stuff with the exception of front steering/suspension on vehicles with mileage over 85k. What do you guys think?
Old February 26th, 2015, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crkranz
I was looking at buying an even older suburban but ended up buying 2007 with 118k. I don't have the complete service records so I'm not sure exactly what has been done on it. That said, I can buy an extended warranty through my Credit Union from Route 66. They are offering 4 years 48k miles for $2100. It covers the major stuff and a lot of little stuff with the exception of front steering/suspension on vehicles with mileage over 85k. What do you guys think?
If you don't do work on your vehicle yourself (I am not judging - most people don't these days!) it seems like for the price it will give you peace of mind assuming you're comfortable with Route 66 being reputable (I have heard the name before but don't know much about) and will likely pay for itself over the course of four years. My coworker bought an 07 Tahoe new in 2008 and I can tell you he has spent well in excess of $2K on it in maintenance and repairs since then (dealer pricing is steep).
Old February 26th, 2015, 6:00 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Does it cover a cracked dash? That can run close to $1,000. Is it $0 deductible? I'd do some serious checking of the company before plunking down that kind of cash.

Will it cover a new engine if AFM kills it?
Old February 27th, 2015, 6:59 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$2k seems like a fairly inexpensive investment.

Do you have PDF of what it covers you can post?
Old February 28th, 2015, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

I don't have all the fine print yet. Attached is a copy of the info they gave me. The reviews I've read Route 66 seems pretty good. Still unsure what to do.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
warranty details.pdf (211.9 KB, 211 views)
Old February 28th, 2015, 1:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Warranty, maybe. Many suggest GM coverage only. Depends where you live and your local repair shops. Would rather see you search bgfindashop.com with your zip code. Check out their different packages for service and look at the warranty that comes with each of them. Look mainly at the transmission and cooling system coverage. Since you don't know the trucks history start with a engine oil/filter change and watch for oil usage. Fuel filter for sure unless it looks like it has recently been changed. A good shop will look over the other things too like belts, hoses, brakes and other. Of our two vehicles the non-gm needed a trans. BG coverage paid the first $2000 leaving only about $400 for me. All of our stuff runs full synthetic also and expect to keep them for many more miles and service them every 30,000 miles or 3 years to keep teir warranty. Let us know. *BW*
Old March 3rd, 2015, 10:04 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search for complaints on warranty work with this company. Maybe the BG coverage is better, honestly I didn't know it existed. I bought my truck used from a dealer, asked about ext warranty coverage since I bought with 178k miles or so on it. They showed me a similar deal. I then looked into it, and found lots of people were having trouble when filing claims.

To me it looked like money out the window, so I declined. Then again I do a fair amount of work on it myself when needed. I know some of the bigger jobs are going to have to be done by someone else, but I am ok with that. Moreso than spending extra money on a warranty that I can't make a claim with.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by {tpc}
Do a search for complaints on warranty work with this company. Maybe the BG coverage is better, honestly I didn't know it existed.

I am pretty comfortable with Route66 as a company. I have read a bunch of very positive reviews on BMW websites.

I can do a most of the regular stuff myself, but I am more concerned with engine/AFM and transmission.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

Attached are some more warranty details in case anyone is interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
warranty details.pdf (446.9 KB, 122 views)
Old March 3rd, 2015, 9:04 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

BG coverage is good. Son got a transmission for his 2004 Tahoe since it was BG serviced.