Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Suburban randomly doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2012, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Suburban randomly doesn't start

I have a 2007 Suburban LT that will not start. I had a new alternator, battery & cable installed late September and since its gotten colder the truck will randomly not start. When I turn the key it does not "click" but the dash lights & radio come on. Once in awhile I can turn the key several times in quick succession and the truck will start. Since it dropped below 32* it won't start at all, jumping the battery doesn't help. I'm hoping someone has some advice or clues, I just spent $2000+ less than 90 days ago and I'd like to avoid the dealership again if I can, I called to see if they would check on their work and they said they'd be happy to, for another $250~thanks in advance!
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Check your battery cables for good connections at both ends. Where they connect to the battery and also at the other end.
Old December 30th, 2012, 7:24 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Check your battery cables for good connections at both ends. Where they connect to the battery and also at the other end.
I second that advice... inspect to make sure no plastic from the cable jacket has gotten pinched between the contact points... verify that the cable connections are touching bare metal and not a painted surface and that they are all firmly connected
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

i had a 07 suburban i bought new it did this from day one it would always start a day later or so tho it is a computer start and that is the problem
when i bought it i also had a 96 tahoe w 320k on it i am so glad i kept it. gm finaly took it back i now have a 02 and a 99 suburban i like the new body style but i wont have another newer one ill just keep rebuilding older ones
ur issue could well just be a bad connection or starter get out the test light and just fyi u cannot jump the starter it will crank but it wont start the compute has to do it inits own sequence
ie if u turn ign on and bypass the starter switch just run a cable to starter it will crank but get no spark or injector pulse i kno this from experince i had wanted to kno if i could start the truck that way incase i got standed when i found that out i took the old one on a 5kmi road trip w 4 friends instead of the new one i took the new one to the dealer gave it to the manager told him it was his to drive till he gets stranded a month later it did it to him they couldnt fix it and gm bought it back it was only a 3 year battle
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Meggie Meyer
I have a 2007 Suburban LT that will not start. I had a new alternator, battery & cable installed late September and since its gotten colder the truck will randomly not start. When I turn the key it does not "click" but the dash lights & radio come on. Once in awhile I can turn the key several times in quick succession and the truck will start. Since it dropped below 32* it won't start at all, jumping the battery doesn't help. I'm hoping someone has some advice or clues, I just spent $2000+ less than 90 days ago and I'd like to avoid the dealership again if I can, I called to see if they would check on their work and they said they'd be happy to, for another $250~thanks in advance!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Meggie Meyer,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. I agree with the other posters, this issue may be related to the battery cables. I recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 8th, 2021, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ever fixed

Curious if you were ever able to fix the problem? I have a 2012 that just started doing the same thing spent a week at the dealership they couldn't figure it out, sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't, the fast repetition sometimes works, but the radio will come on and off on its own and the doors unlock and lights flash sometimes. It's getting very annoying never knowing if it's going to leave me stranded.
Old June 9th, 2021, 10:37 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Klinke
Curious if you were ever able to fix the problem? I have a 2012 that just started doing the same thing spent a week at the dealership they couldn't figure it out, sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't, the fast repetition sometimes works, but the radio will come on and off on its own and the doors unlock and lights flash sometimes. It's getting very annoying never knowing if it's going to leave me stranded.
Do a search on chassis grounds. There are a few that can cause erratic issues. Black wires attached to frame, some have multiple wires at one spot. Especially if your in a salt zone.
Old June 9th, 2021, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by repairman54
Do a search on chassis grounds. There are a few that can cause erratic issues. Black wires attached to frame, some have multiple wires at one spot. Especially if your in a salt zone.
Thank you