Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2007 Suburban "SERVICE AIR BAG" message...

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2012, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Suburban "SERVICE AIR BAG" message...

Was idling in Park the other day (eating some KFC) when the little red airbag icon lit up and the message center told me to "SERVICE AIR BAG". How the heck would you do that?? Anybody else had this come up, and what did it cost to fix? Can't stand any warning lights on the dash
Old October 3rd, 2012, 9:49 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I suspect this is one the dealer will have to handle.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 9:57 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is what I found, might try clearing it and see if it comes back, if it does I would consider having it serviced...did it set any codes?

Service Information
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual |

The AIR BAG indicator, located on the instrument panel cluster (IPC) is used to notify the driver of Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System malfunctions and to verify that the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) is communicating with the IPC. When the ignition is turned ON, the SDM is supplied with battery voltage and requests the IPC to flash the AIR BAG indicator 7 times. While flashing the indicator, the SDM conducts test on all SIR system components and circuits. If no malfunctions are detected the SDM will communicate with the IPC through the serial data circuit and request the IPC to turn the AIR BAG indicator OFF. The SDM provides continuous monitoring of the air bag circuits by conducting a sequence of checks. If a malfunction is detected the SDM will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) and request the IPC to turn the AIR BAG indicator ON. The presence of a SIR system malfunction could result in non-deployment of the air bags. The AIR BAG indicator will remain ON until the malfunction has been repaired.

Service Information 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1892094
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#07-09-41-002: Air Bag Light On, DTC B0081 Set (Clear DTC Using Specific Procedure) - (Jan 29, 2007)

Subject: Air Bag Light On, DTC B0081 Set (Clear DTC Using Specific Procedure)

Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on the airbag light being illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC B0081 with symptom code 0F, 3A, 39 or 71 set.

Correction
The Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) should NOT be replaced when DTC B0081 sets. The SDM sets DTC B0081 only to report that there is no communication with the Passenger Presence System (PPS) module or that the PPS module has reported a fault. It is important that when the B0081 fault is reported by the SDM, the DTCs from the PPS be retrieved and addressed first per the procedure below. After the PPS module DTCs have been addressed, turn the ignition off, open the driver's door, and wait 40 seconds for the PPS module to go to sleep.

When DTC B0081 71 sets, inspect wiring and connections for a possible loss of communication between the SDM and PPS module. Inspect front passenger seat connector to the PPS module and seat connector to the seat harness. Do not replace the SDM module for a DTC B0081 71 condition.
The SDM will set B0081 3A indicating that a wrong PPS module has been installed on the vehicle. Verify the condition before replacing the known wrong PPS module with a correct one. Use service information to reprogram and set up a new PPS module.
The SDM will set B0081 0F and B0081 39 indicating that the PPS module has reported a fault to the SDM. Retrieve the DTCs from the PPS module and address those first.
The PPS may continue to send it has a fault to the SDM for the above conditions, though there are no active faults reported by the PPS, until the steps in the note below are taken.
Important: DTC B0081 will not clear until the low speed bus goes to sleep. To clear DTC B0081, turn the Ignition off, open the driver's door and wait 40 seconds for the PPS to go to sleep. Turn the ignition to run and retrieve vehicle DTCs. If all the codes have been cleared from the PPS, DTC B0081 in the SDM will not be active and only be in history.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

C9709*
Procedure to Clear DTC B0081 from SDM.
0.5 hr

* This is a unique labor operation number for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
Old October 5th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

MiataRacer,

It would probably be a good idea to have your air bag system inspected as this warning indicates a problem. Please let us know if you would like for us to check into anything further with you and your dealership by sending us a private message with more details (including your name, contact information, and the last 8 of your VIN).

Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 17th, 2013, 6:43 AM
CF Active Member

I habe the same problem with my 09 crew cab along with check right rear tire pressure, washer fluid low add fluid. And ive do all of the above.
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Well it was one of the front sensors, and it cost me $362 bucks to get the stupid little red light off. I'm thoroughly disgusted, laying out a wad of cash like that I'd sure as hell like to have something to show for it. The vehicle has never been wrecked, so this dumbass sensor just "went bad" out of the clear blue, sure seems like a little cash machine for GM just programmed into the system. What's to keep all of them from "going bad" in the future, one by one?? And nothing I did to cause it and nothing I can do to prevent it. This is the kind of BS I expect with German cars, NOT a Chevy truck.
Old August 11th, 2013, 2:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

aww man! i wish i had saw this earlier. i saw a website where you can remove the sensor and send it out where the fix it and send it back for like $70! i'll try to look for that site to help out anyone else experiencing this. i bought an 07 with this light on and the dealer i got it from explained that he had done this same procedure for like $50. check this vid out and i'll see if i can find that site and update

Old August 11th, 2013, 2:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ABS Module Repair - EBCM, ATE, Teves, Bosch, Kelsey-Hayes
Old December 5th, 2015, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

SRS Module reset seat belt repair at SRS Airbag Module Crash Data Reset & Seat Belt Repair Services