Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Suburban won't start after new battery

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2013, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 Suburban won't start after new battery

Woke up to a dead battery in my 2007 Suburban 1500 LT. Battery was just over 2 years old, took it back to Advanced Auto where they tested it and said it was bad. Installed new battery, however it won't start. Will not turnover - no click when I turn the key, starter does not turnover. Battery is charged, showing 12 volts. Head lights shine bright, radio works, power windows work, etc. When I put the key to start it, the gauges do not light up/power up, but all of the "start up lights" come on that normally do during start up (i.e. check engine, traction control, etc). Again, nothing happens when I turn the key all the way to try to start it. Any suggestions on what I can try are appreciated.
Old November 1st, 2013, 8:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem on my Isuzu Trooper (also built by GM). I had corrosion all over the cable lead and into the cable under the insulation. After replacing the cable, it worked fine.

Things you should be looking for:
1) good ground - improper grounds are the root of almost all electrical problems (and evil).

2) Ensure battery terminals are tight.

3) Inspect your positive lead from your battery to your starter.

4) Try starting in neutral - if it works, you may have a faulty safety switch in the transmission.
Old November 1st, 2013, 8:55 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by kgetch
Woke up to a dead battery in my 2007 Suburban 1500 LT. Battery was just over 2 years old, took it back to Advanced Auto where they tested it and said it was bad. Installed new battery, however it won't start. Will not turnover - no click when I turn the key, starter does not turnover. Battery is charged, showing 12 volts. Head lights shine bright, radio works, power windows work, etc. When I put the key to start it, the gauges do not light up/power up, but all of the "start up lights" come on that normally do during start up (i.e. check engine, traction control, etc). Again, nothing happens when I turn the key all the way to try to start it. Any suggestions on what I can try are appreciated.
Welcome to the forum...
Be sure to check the Mega fuse located on the firewall near the battery, its very possible it has gone out...
Also check your ignition fuse located in the under hood fuse box....
Don't rule out a new battery as being good, have it load tested, a battery can show the correct voltage but have no current...
The alternator may also need to be checked, it could be loading down the system if it is shorted out....