Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

2007 Tahoe 5.3 reduced engine power

Old September 29th, 2012, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe 5.3 reduced engine power

First post so I apologize if this is redundant. I've found some threads regarding this issue and tried the fixes I found but it was not successful. Oh yeah, my mileage is about 63,000.

Ok, the problem:

Check engine symbol comes on.
Engine power reduced message comes on.
Stabilitrac off message comes on.
Traction Control off message comes on.
Traction Control symbol comes on.
Service Stablitrac & Traction Control messages come on then they repeat alternately with Engine Power reduced message.

While in this mode, engine runs rough and of course has no power.

My attempts to remove the problem:

Unhooked negative battery cable for 15 minutes. Reattached, started,
problem came back almost immediately.

Repeated batt. cable unhook.
Removed the air cleaner to throttle body hose assembly.
Used CRC sensor cleaner on the sensor in the hose.
Removed throttle body, used CRC throttle body cleaner to remove slightly greasy, sooty film.
Installed new air filter and reinstalled throttle body and hose assembly.
After battery cable reattachment, turned on ignition for 1 minute.
Then started and idled for 1 minute.
Then drove down the road....all symbols and messages came back on after about 1/4 mile.

Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Last edited by Don Odom; September 29th, 2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: forgot to include mileage
Old September 29th, 2012, 3:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

retrieve and post all the codes that have set in the ecm
Old September 30th, 2012, 1:05 AM
CF Beginner

sounds like your loosing compression..it sounds like 1 of 3 things: 1- pistons rings are shot. (it could be one or multiple pistons) 2- a valve (or multiple valves) is cracked or has a hole in it. 3- valves are sticking to the seals...i would take it to a proffesional and get it checked out if your not that great with motors. let me know what ya find out bud
Old September 30th, 2012, 8:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

typically when the reduced power power mode message is displayed, a problem with the throttle actuator or pedal position sensor is present.

When powertrain faults are detcted the tcs and abs systems will be disabled. Fixing the problem setting the reduced power mode dtc will correct the tcs and abs problem.
Old September 30th, 2012, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
typically when the reduced power power mode message is displayed, a problem with the throttle actuator or pedal position sensor is present.

When powertrain faults are detcted the tcs and abs systems will be disabled. Fixing the problem setting the reduced power mode dtc will correct the tcs and abs problem.

Thanks. I figured out last night that the stabilitrac and traction control(sounds like they should be the same thing but anyway) messages are probably kicking on because of the low power state.

Going to see if one of the local parts stores will pull the codes for me. I know I can buy a scanner but I'm unemployed trying to keep the cost down.

Appreciate the help, I will update as soon as I have more info.
Old September 30th, 2012, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Outlaw91'
sounds like your loosing compression..it sounds like 1 of 3 things: 1- pistons rings are shot. (it could be one or multiple pistons) 2- a valve (or multiple valves) is cracked or has a hole in it. 3- valves are sticking to the seals...i would take it to a proffesional and get it checked out if your not that great with motors. let me know what ya find out bud
Outlaw, I really appreciate the advice. I would be stunned if you are correct. Low mileage, years of repairing my own vehicles, and no prior symptoms lead me to that conclusion.

If you turn out to be right I will admit I was wrong. (Not gladly though...those costs would be a killer right now).

Thanks again for your advice.
Old September 30th, 2012, 8:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has happened several times to mine. I first had the Wiring Harness replaced on the Throttle Body. Seemed to help but the message came back.

Most recent, I had Plugs and wires done, but in addition to that, the "grounds" (several) were taken off, cleaned and re-tightened.
So far, (250 mi) this seemed to have worked.
Old September 30th, 2012, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

Called O'Reillys, they will do a code pull for free. Heading over now. I will update ASAP.
Old September 30th, 2012, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Well, not sure but I hope the problem is resolved.

While my Tahoe has the FlexFuel engine, I've had problems with Walmart fuel before in a VW New Beetle we owned. The only reason I bought it there is because we have a Walmart card and I'm trying to conserve my cash on hand. My wife can't work, I'm unemployed, and was driving 90 miles to do some testing for a new job. I'm giving all this info so you understand why I bought gas that had given me trouble before.

So, I was going to O'Reillys....I drove very slowly and stopped about 1 mile from home. I poured in a bottle of Greased Lightning fuel system treatment I got from O'Reillys yesterday, put in $20 worth of premium BP gas, pulled the battery cable for a reset then drove over 10 miles there and back home with no problems. I also stopped at O'Reillys, they did a code check to see if it had stored anything and it had not. I guess I shouldn't have pulled the cable but I just wanted to see if it would happen again.

Keeping my fingers crossed. If I don't post again then you will know this cleared up the problem.
Old September 30th, 2012, 3:06 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The fuel treatment can help, but save your money on the premium fuel it does nothing helpful....DO try another filling station and use 87 octane.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Tahoe 5.3 reduced engine power