Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe Bose Speaker Question???

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2008, 5:03 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe Bose Speaker Question???

I am replacing my front and rear door speakers in my 2007 Tahoe. It has the bose system.

I had a forum member interested in buying them and putting them in their NON bose 2007 Tahoe. However, the member asked his dealership if this would work. They said there is no way to put the speakers in his non bose tahoe without buying all the wiring harnesses etc.

Is this true? I cant believe they arent plug and play? What could be different besides a postive and negative wire off the speaker? How can they not work like any other speaker?

P.S. I havent ever looked at one in person and my are still installed. So if this is something obvious please keep in mind that I havent viewed one in person.
Old February 10th, 2008, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tahoe Bose Speaker Question???

Bose has proprietary wiring harnesses that don't work with any other speakers. Installing different speakers is explained in the installation guides on the Crutchfield web site, and under the Tahoe section.
Old February 10th, 2008, 7:12 PM
CF Addict

Thanks Beden1. So you are saying you cant remove the factory harness connector on the non bose speaker wire and remove the harness on the bose speaker and hardwire them?

Is this what you are talking about at crutchfield???

Installation Details

Fits

Installation Details for your 2007 Tahoe

»
Use the factory speaker grilles.

»
A speaker adapter bracket is required, and it's included free with your speaker purchase.

»
Re-drill the mounting screw holes.

»
A wiring harness is not available. Cut off the factory connectors and splice the vehicle's speaker wires to your new speaker wires.

»
For improved sound quality purchase a set of foam baffles to go with these speakers.

Old February 10th, 2008, 9:37 PM
CF Active Member

Actually the harness that plugs in to the bose speakers is the same as the harness that plugs into the non bose speakers. The bose speaker is also 1.9 ohms while the non-bose speakers are 4 ohms. Hope this helps
Old February 10th, 2008, 9:46 PM
CF Addict

ok, so xclusive are they plug and play? The bose speakers will play and work in a non bose 2007 tahoe??? You make it sound like they will work.
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:56 PM
CF Active Member

They will def plug in. As far as play they should but being that the non bose speakers are 4 ohms i believe, there might be a issue with the OEM non bose radio being able to handle the lower impedance level and cause the radio to clipas it heats up or at higher volumes.
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:05 AM
CF Beginner

Here is the link to the Crutchfield installation instructions for the speakers that are 2007-08 Tahoespecific. To hook up different speakers, you need to cut and splice the wires. They don't just plug-in as Bose has proprietary plugs. In reading another section, the speakers are also a different size than the JLs (JL's are smaller?), so you need to use insulation that they supply. They talk about having to run wires to the speakers for the tweeters, but I don't understand this in the instructions. It would be best to call Crutchfield for clarifications.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ekbmOaY...&inst=7632
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:07 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, this is what I was referring to. Read my other response, as I don't see where some of their statements make sense.

The impedence is another question I would ask Crutchfield, although I question whether other car speaker manufacturers would make differing impedence values.

After reading about it, I decided to let the professionals do it for me. For example, they want $75 for labor, to install a Tahoe specific sub box, http://www.qlogicenclosures.com/c-323-ql-c1gma110.aspxwhich looks like an excellent option . . . and run/install the wiring, volume control, amplifier, and etc. This is cheap enough to not get into the hassel IMO.
Old February 11th, 2008, 9:22 AM
davemec

Without the Bose amp the Bose speakers probably would sound worse than the non-Bose speakers that are in their Tahoe now. Plus, why buy someone's Bose speakers when you can get aftermarket speakers that are better? Of course you would still need an amp or new head unit.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM
CF Addict

Thanks Dave! You seem like a pretty knowledgable guy. Can you please explain a couple things to me.

First, how would the bose speakers sound worse than the non bose speakers in a 2007 tahoe? Especially with a lower Ohm rating, in turn creating higher volume output of the limited power of the HU. Am I wrong? If your statement is true then simply replacing any factory speaker with any aftermarket speakerwhile using thefactory providedpower would decrease sound quality? For instance, use the stock radio in a 2007 Non Bose Tahoe and put in some Kenwood 6.5's would sound worse than the factory 6.5's?

Secondly, can you please tell me what aftermarket speakers you can buy? Wait, that would be 2 sets of 6.5" speakers at the $20-30 I was going to sell my two 6.5" bose speakers for.

No big deal, I will just thrown the damn things in the trash. All i was trying to do was see if anyone wanted them and then tried to find out if they would work in their vehicle.

However Davemec, please provide some good knowledgable insight to my questions above!

Quick Reply: 2007 Tahoe Bose Speaker Question???