Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe first time ever 1-2 hard shift

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2016, 12:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe first time ever 1-2 hard shift

Man, I swear, its just one problem after another with my Tahoe. So yesterday, I was dealing with what I believe is a front left brake dragging, intermittently. I freed the caliper up at home, brought it to dealer hoping they could narrow down the root cause, but the tech couldn't find anything and wasnt going to charge me. I talked with him further and he recommended I do both front calipers and flex brake lines.

Now today, my family and i were at church, got into the car after church to go eat lunch, started the car and shifted into "D", and the shift was a bit harsher than normal, it def. did not feel right. I pulled out of the driveway of the church and accelerate and the 1-2 shift was very harsh, it was harsh like as if someone bumped us from behind at 5 mph. I immediately get about +20 pts in my blood pressure, lol! So we drive about 3 miles to the restaurant in city traffic, and everytime we stopped and left the stop sure enough the 1-2 hard shift was still there. So we parked for lunch and ate for about an hour, left the restaurant and started driving in traffic and no more harsh 1-2 shifts.

My Tahoe has ~211,000 miles on it, never ever had this harsh 1-2 shift, or any hard shifts. Now my OCD has gone bonkers, I'm thinking man this dealer did something else to my car, b/c of my complaint I had with them a few months ago about giving me a bad alignment. Or that the shop who rebuilt my rear diff a few months ago, maybe sabotaged my transmission to get more business, lol.

I do transmission flushes every 50k miles. Maybe its the trans just getting worn, it is the original trans. Never had an issue with it before. Trans temps were normal just like they always have been, for my car its usually about 100-105 degrees + the outside temperature. I don't tow anything with my Tahoe.

I should also mention that after I got back my Tahoe from its rear diff. rebuild (the place is also a transmission shop that did the rebuild), I noticed something different about the car. I mostly notice on highway driving that I will be going a constant speed, and if I let off the gas and coast, and a few seconds later you will feel the car lose momentum, as if I started to apply a tiny amount of braking. But in fact I am not braking. I was thinking maybe it was the caliper sticking issue, but I can't be sure.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Also are error codes stored when symptoms like mine happen? Can I pull them with a OBD 2 scanner?

Last edited by Typerod; July 23rd, 2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 5:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Just checked the fluid level, while engine was on and idling, and after driving about 10 miles, fluid level was just barely past the lower hole in the "hot" section of the dipstick. I would probably say that level is just about appropriate. Transmission shifted fine. BTW, how can I tell what GM trans I have? I was counting shifts and I was getting confused b/c there seemed like a weird lazy shift, from what I thought was 4-5. But I thought I read somewhere our Tahoes in 07 are 4 speed?
Old July 24th, 2016, 6:49 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Per the owners manual
Automatic
Transmission
DEXRONŽ-VI Automatic
Transmission Fluid.
EDIT:
reread your question, you are asking what trans you have, its most likely the 4L60E
Check your RPO codes

M30 16623 P TRN M TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60-E, ELECTRONIC 970424 E T E A
M31 16624 P TRN M TRANSMISSION AUTO 5 SPD, HMD, X5R 970508 E H E A
M32 16625 P TRN M TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60-E, ELECTRONIC, HD 990727 E X E A
M33 16626 P TRN M TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60-E, ELECTRONIC, HYBRID 411 E

MN8 16055 P TRN M TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L80-E, HEAVY DUTY
Old July 24th, 2016, 9:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI every so often (once a year) my subs have a shifting fit. No sure why but given the complexity of a transmission something hanging or something sticking is a possibility.
I don't think I would worry about it. especially if it shift normal now.
Old July 25th, 2016, 6:47 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Scotiapilot
FYI every so often (once a year) my subs have a shifting fit. No sure why but given the complexity of a transmission something hanging or something sticking is a possibility.
I don't think I would worry about it. especially if it shift normal now.
Thanks for the reply Scotia! I wish I could not worry about it anymore, but my OCD, has got me worried! lol! Its my wife's main vehicle and since she hauls our kids with it, I must keep the Tahoe in excellent working order. I have placed a call to the transmission shop that did my rear differential rebuild, they told me to just bring it in and they will road test and scan for codes.

Originally Posted by in2pro
Per the owners manual
Automatic
Transmission
DEXRONŽ-VI Automatic
Transmission Fluid.
EDIT:
reread your question, you are asking what trans you have, its most likely the 4L60E
Check your RPO codes

M30 16623 P TRN M TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60-E, ELECTRONIC 970424 E T E A
M31 16624 P TRN M TRANSMISSION AUTO 5 SPD, HMD, X5R 970508 E H E A
M32 16625 P TRN M TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60-E, ELECTRONIC, HD 990727 E X E A
M33 16626 P TRN M TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60-E, ELECTRONIC, HYBRID 411 E

MN8 16055 P TRN M TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L80-E, HEAVY DUTY
Thanks In2pro! I'll use the VIN lookup tool to find the RPO code for my Tahoe. much appreciated!
Old July 25th, 2016, 7:26 AM
CF Senior Member

From the vin lookup on chevroletforum, i have the M30