Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Old April 8th, 2014, 12:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow - Pretty disappointed on how may cracked dashes out there. My 2009 LT 67K mi dash cracked over the instrument cluster and in three places around the passenger airbag. Just waiting for it to fall apart more. Talk about a crap part. It looks like there have been mixed reviews on getting any help from GM or a dealer. I discovered this thread and stopped by the local delaer and they said no go - not under warranty. They offered to replace it for $1500. I declined. Asked if they changed alot of these and they did not say a word and look suprised. Told them to google cracked suburan dash and count the hits on this thread.
Hey GM - lets talk ignition switches shall we?

I have a 2000 S10 that has spent its whole life outside in the California sun. No cracks in that dash on a vehicle that cost half as much as my Suburban new. Been a GM guy my whole life but the loyalty is fading fast.

Add my peeling steering wheel spokes to the dash and thats all I see everytime I get in the Suburban.

I see Erica the GM service rep chimes in on these discussions. Will send a PM but I do not expect much. For those who got any resolution on this issue and managed to only spend the $200 deductible, please tell me how.
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 67_camaro
I see Erica the GM service rep chimes in on these discussions. Will send a PM but I do not expect much. For those who got any resolution on this issue and managed to only spend the $200 deductible, please tell me how.
I feel your pain. I've taught automotive since 1974 and remember a lot of problems like this but can't remember once when a manufacturer responded like this. Some are treated like they were asking to warranty a Ford while others like myself are treated like royalty. I was way out of warranty, read this forum, called my service writer at Mac Haik Chevrolet in Houston Mac Haik Chevrolet Houston TX , Tony said bring it in and he would look at it, so I did and left it with him. He called the next day and said they had fixed it at no cost! I was shocked. They also replaced, at different times, inside chrome door handles, door locks and brake rotors all at no cost and out of warranty. I've never been sent a evaluation survey, contacted by GM or the dealer. I have spoken to Mr. Caldwell and expressed my concerns about all the problems I've had (and it has been astronomical). As far as they are concerned, I'm just a guy off the street who wanted a fare shake. They do not know my background nor care. My kids buy from them without mentioning names or asking for special treatment.
I just don't understand why a GM bean counter has chosen to treat most people unfairly.
My advice is speak face to face with a good service writer at different dealerships, off the books first so that nothing is final until you find someone who cares enough to really try to be fare. Don't call, it's too easy to say no on the phone and ask around for a service rep that cares, Just my two cents.
As much as I like it's looks, comfort and performance, I can't recommend Chevy. My experiences are first hand (not a rumor), frustrating and ongoing.
I'd sure like to have a Camero conv.
Old April 8th, 2014, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Suburban, my dash is cracked, the chrome on the door handles is coming off...has anybody had any luck with GM?
Old April 8th, 2014, 4:40 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Haven't kept any stats but seems like those that got their problems fixed had Chevy Customer Service help, had a good dealer w/ a good service dept, bought the truck new, and/or didn't go in w/ a belligerent attitude.

While these cracked dashes really suck, a close read of the mfg. warranty will reveal that it's not covered. I guess it's not located between the bumpers.
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

The dealer has to get paid from either GM or the customer ona major repair. They won’t eat a $1000 cost or more for just for customer service. If GM pays less then you pay more. I see that in the previous threads where an owner was told a dealer would cover the dash fix for a certain priceand surprise, it is higher when you get there.
A good service writer will resolve the issue with GM on yourbehalf so you won’t have to in the name of customer service.
Acting like an a$$ never solves the problem and gives GM aneasy out on why to say no.
Any idea on how long GM takes to respond to a PM on here?
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Default interior chrome door handles for split chrome

Originally Posted by eric1
I have a 2007 Suburban, my dash is cracked, the chrome on the door handles is coming off...has anybody had any luck with GM?
There is a recall on the interior chrome door handles for split chrome and causing cuts. Call your service writer first to confirm it.
Bulletin No.: 09239
Date: July 2010
CONDITION
Some customers of 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles may comment about peeling on the top surface of the front or rear chrome interior door handle(s). A chrome plating irregularity combined with direct sunlight exposure may cause the plating to separate from the top surface of the handle on certain vehicles.

SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership or mileage. Dealers are to replace the front and/or rear chrome interior door handle levers if signs of peeling are present. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after July 16, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to July 16, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi eric1,

I am sorry to hear of these concerns with your vehicle! We would be happy to look into the situation further if you could send us a private message with your VIN.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by eric1
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Official GM Rep

Hi 67_camaro,

We apologize for the delay and for the frustrations you have been experiencing. I see my colleague has responded to your message. We look forward to assisting in a resolution.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by 67_camaro
The dealer has to get paid from either GM or the customer ona major repair. They won’t eat a $1000 cost or more for just for customer service. If GM pays less then you pay more. I see that in the previous threads where an owner was told a dealer would cover the dash fix for a certain priceand surprise, it is higher when you get there.
A good service writer will resolve the issue with GM on yourbehalf so you won’t have to in the name of customer service.
Acting like an a$$ never solves the problem and gives GM aneasy out on why to say no.
Any idea on how long GM takes to respond to a PM on here?
Old April 9th, 2014, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2 cracks, same as everyone else...

I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with about 53k miles. I have the same two cracks as everyone else does; around the passenger air bag and above the instrument panel. I sent an email to GM yesterday but I'm not confident that I'll hear anything back.

I'd like to be contacted by Chevy Customer Care please. I'm very concerned about the injuries that would be caused if my airbag were to deploy. Not to mention, disappointed that I have to address this problem at all.
Old April 9th, 2014, 1:17 PM
Official GM Rep

Hello MCD327,

We are sorry to hear about this concern! If you could please send us a private message with your VIN, we can check for any open service announcements on the vehicle. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by MCD327
I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with about 53k miles. I have the same two cracks as everyone else does; around the passenger air bag and above the instrument panel. I sent an email to GM yesterday but I'm not confident that I'll hear anything back.

I'd like to be contacted by Chevy Customer Care please. I'm very concerned about the injuries that would be caused if my airbag were to deploy. Not to mention, disappointed that I have to address this problem at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????