Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2015, 9:15 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum. It seems like the remedy is pretty much up to each individual service department. Keep us advised on your status.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 8:35 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
The cracks are a very much known problem and any service advisor at a dealership claiming otherwise is sad... now they may not see a lot of them but it's a known issue.
The quotes I have seen have been all over the place but yours isn't too far out of the range, though some have gotten it done for free, others for 250...
I would suggest opening a case with Chevrolet Customer Service, this will at least get you in GM's official database and on file.
There seems to be no one particular combination of reasons why some get done others don't but have a regular relationship with your dealer's service department and have extended warranties do seem to help. Purchasing other vehicles from the same dealership also seems to be a common thread.

1. Open a case with Chevrolet Customer Service
2. File a complaint with http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...rod_ids=216051.
3. Work with your local dealership , being courteous and nice goes a long way, the dealership is ultimately who will likely foot most of the bill not GM.

Keep us updated on this post as like yourself others find this and it builds a database of proof of a problem....
Old December 2nd, 2015, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your response. I'll do what you suggest and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 6:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with working with GM on this is GM has refused to acknowledge any issue whatsoever with these dash boards cracking, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary here and elsewhere. The only reaction thus far from GM apparently has been to hire a crack team of internet forum trolls probably outsourced to India to sit on forums like these and do their best to deflect blame and run premium customers in circles. It is infuriating.

Therefore, GM likely has not addressed or corrected the defect in the dashboard design. Installing another defective GM dashboard at considerable cost and time may have the same result. I have heard from several others that the replaced dash also cracked in the same places. I wonder if others who have recently replaced the dash could also chime in here.

Anyway, long rant here, but my take on the solution is the following :

Start with doing what was posted above regarding trying to nicely work with GM and your local dealer.

If that breaks down, as it has for most of us, I would work with a local interior trim shop to carefully remove the defective dash, stop drill the cracks, then reinforce the underside with fiberglass weave in the regions of the cluster hump and passenger airbag cut out, then cover the dash in a nice matched vinyl perhaps with baseball stitching for subtle accent.

Your end product will look much nicer than stock, cost about the same as a replacement GM dash would have, wont crack again, and WONT put more undeserved $$ in GM's grubby open palms.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 8:54 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Someone early-on in this discussion posted pictures of the underside of his original and the new one which was a new design. We later learned that it cracked also.
Old December 4th, 2015, 5:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Defective Dash

Originally Posted by gruvenparts.com

Therefore, GM likely has not addressed or corrected the defect in the dashboard design. Installing another defective GM dashboard at considerable cost and time may have the same result. I have heard from several others that the replaced dash also cracked in the same places. I wonder if others who have recently replaced the dash could also chime in here.
Absolutely true!

Anyway, long rant here, but my take on the solution is the following :

Start with doing what was posted above regarding trying to nicely work with GM and your local dealer.
Absolutely true, I take my service writer and manager to lunch and we don't discuss work! They have gone above and beyond anything ever hoped for with, handles, locks, seat covers, heated windshield washer, paint etc.

If that breaks down, as it has for most of us, I would work with a local interior trim shop to carefully remove the defective dash, stop drill the cracks, then reinforce the underside with fiberglass weave in the regions of the cluster hump and passenger airbag cut out, then cover the dash in a nice matched vinyl perhaps with baseball stitching for subtle accent.

Your end product will look much nicer than stock, cost about the same as a replacement GM dash would have, wont crack again, and WONT put more undeserved $$ in GM's grubby open palms.
Wrong! all of the plastic is brittle and will continue to crack in other places leaving just a vinyl covering and no support. Replace it and find another vehicle.
Good luck.
Old December 10th, 2015, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 2007 chevy suburban LTZ

My LTZ suburban has 140k on it. It has the same crack at the top-left corner of the airbag. Will this plastic dash mess with the airbag if it deploys? Pretty sad that I have to even ask this question. This is rediculous for such an expensive vehicle to have a poor design flaw.
Old December 11th, 2015, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Went through the GM Customer Assistance Center, assigned a case number, dealer called me and made me come in to look at the dash and got back to me with almost the same price I got over the phone, between $600-$700. No negotiating. I would have been better served if they just stepped up and simply answered my email that nothing would be done about it instead of wasting my time sending me to the dealer to look at. Dealer and CAC are nice folks it's simply something they won't fix or take responsibility to being their issue. I think I'll go gruvenparts direction and get it fixed. The interior shop that put the new leather in for me does repair on these with reinforcement they swear by but they are very relunctant to remove the dash but will reinstall it. They said they have removed a few dash with problems, is brittle and they have experienced the crack over the instruments extending through the whole dash and cracking through while removing it and making it very difficult to fix right after that so they don't want to take it out but will put it back in once its fixed. Say you can't tell the fix looking at the surface. How difficult is the dash to remove?
Old January 21st, 2016, 1:40 AM
CF Beginner

I have a thread up would you mind taking a look and give me some possible ideas
Old January 21st, 2016, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default 07 suburban ltz dash crack

Good morning this is my second product that the dash cracked in the first was a 10 Yukon slt. This time it's an 07 suburban ltz. Has there been a recall on these yet as obviously a design flaw with no support they've both cracked in the same spot. The 10 Yukon was fixed for 100. Is there anything that can be done with these things.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
All of those having these problems I would like to speak with each of your separately if I could. I will try to PM all of you but if I don't get to you by tomorrow please message me here or you can e-mail me using the e-mail associated with this account. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service.

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????