Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2016, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add. My 2011 Suburban LT dash cracked. Same area as everyone else. Cheap plastic and an open void.

I traded it in on a 2016 Suburban LTZ. But before I bought it, I can tell you that feeling around the dash area it seemed to be a lot more solid than any previous Suburbans and Tahoes I've owned.
Old February 27th, 2016, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Since my last post about a year ago, I check this thread every now and then, just for the comedy. It is well known, and stated throughout this thread, how GM has chose to handle the dash issue. I have copied my post from a year ago, and I will paste it below.

Since I had all the issues replaced on my 2007 Tahoe LTZ, I have upgraded two of my Chevy's. I traded in the 2011 Corvette, and got a 2015 Corvette. I also traded in my 2012 Suburban LTZ, and got a 2016 Suburban LTZ. My first vehicle was a Chevy, and my last vehicle will be a Chevy as well. From the age of 16 until now at the age of 35, it has been all Chevy's for me. I love the product that GM puts out, the comfort, the looks, the whole nine yards. I am 100% satisfied, and if I do have an issue, it gets resolved...

Back to the dash issue. Below is my post from a year ago. This is the way that is is. I don't care how many "GM Reps" get on here and feed you a line of BS. They feed you the same line of BS when you get them on the phone. Your replacement or repair costs depend on one thing, and one thing only...your relationship with the Service Manager. End of story. Threatening GM or their reps in this thread do none of you guys any good. I'm sure they find it as comical as I do. GM has been around for a LONG time, and they aren't going to close up shop because of losing a few customers here and there. Happens to all major car brands. Any who, here is the post. Have a great day!

Below is my post from August 2014. Please pay attention to what I have put in bold font, that is the way it is. It doesn't matter how many post you make complaining about it, asking the FAKE Chevrolet Reps for their help, or following the instructions they give you after you give them your information. It all boils down to one thing...If you have a good relationship with the Service Manager at your dealership. He/Her will be the one to make the call on if you are going to pay nothing, full price, or anything in between. I'm not trying to be rude, that is just the way GM has chosen to handle this. I was able to get my dash replaced at no cost because of mine and my families relationship with the dealership.

August 2014 Post:
I was going through the same issues over a year ago with the dash, interior door handles, steering wheel peeling, etc. You can go back and look at my post from May 2013. I was able to get mine fixed at my local dealership for no charge.

Fast forward to last week...My Tahoe is white. My exterior door handles were starting to peel(they are white as well) I went in to see if they would help me out on changing them. I wanted to get the chrome handles, and they told me it would be $145 plus labor, which came out to be $345.00 plus tax. The handles are available on ebay for around $110.00, and I told them that. They were for sale on there from another Chevrolet dealer. Not only did they sale me the handles for $110.00, they also knocked off half of the labor costs. My total ended up being $241.19, and that was including tax and $10.00 in shop supplies.

My take on this whole situation is that I agree with all of you that the dash, interior door handles, and peeling steering wheel cover are all defects and should be replaced by GM at no cost to the consumer. Since most of us have come to figure out, that's not going to happen in 99% of the cases. I spoke, at length, to the service manager at my local dealership about this situation when I picked my Tahoe up after they finished installing the exterior handles. He told me that it is determined on a case by case situation, and it is solely at the discretion of the service manager. You have a better chance of getting these things taken care of at no cost or a discounted cost if you have a good relationship with them.

To save you guys some time, the fake Chevy reps on here are worthless. There is no need to send them your info via PM. You can do exactly what they do. They call your "preferred" dealer, tell them what's going on, and issue you a number. That's it. End of story for them. I was able to get my replacements over a year ago because of the relationship I have with the service manager. The deal that you get, if any, all depends on the relationship you have with them.

Hope this helps...
Old April 2nd, 2016, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Step by step instructions to remove dash?

With all the posts & views on this forum, I would think that there would be somewhere step-by-step instructions on how to replace the dash.

But I can't find them anywhere. I have use the search function and have come up with nothing. I have already purchased a replacement – and I'm just looking for the step-by-step instructions so that I can do this on my own and fix it.

Come on people let's take matters into our own hands, literally :-)
Old April 6th, 2016, 2:48 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If I recall the process to remove and replace the dash is about a 7 hour process. You might consider purchasing the service manual as the process appears to be somewhat extensive....
Note the links in the PDF file provided below are not clickable, doing so will only lead to an invalid location.
Attached Files
Old April 6th, 2016, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

What if I told you had a PDF print out with step by step instructions of each step in the PDF you printed out? : )

I don't think there's anyway this could take 7 hours if someone is fairly handy with a wrench...but maybe I'm underestimating : \
Old April 10th, 2016, 8:14 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is a caption from the parts listing, the 7.2 is the time listed for dealer removal and install. The prices have changed, but the part numbers and times are still applicable. You may be able to do it in less time but this was the quoted time.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????-parts-list.jpg  
Old April 11th, 2016, 3:18 AM
CF Beginner

When I was shopping for a Suburban I drove 30 miles to look at what seemed to be a really good deal.
Upon inspection I noticed 2 cracks in the dash.
I asked if that was to be fixed and the guy said "no, it costs us $900.00 so we just cut the price".
I said, "Thanks, you just lost me".
I left and kept looking.
Apparently this is a somewhat common occurrence.
Earl
Old April 14th, 2016, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry I am for you I am on round 3 on my 2007 Suburban. The crack startes at the corner of the right air bag. Then moves across the Driver console, then moves everywhere. My first ones were done by the dealer. This time it will be me. I will shoot some video to help you out. I would call it a very bad design by my favorite manufacturer.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 GMC Sierra dash cracked

My 2010 GMC Sierra has 83K miles on it and the dash has cracked behind the instrument cluster dome. I had the same thing happen to my 2007 Tahoe and was able to get the dealer to replace it for $100. I contacted the same dealer and they want $400 to replace this one on my GMC. I think it's a crock of crap to deal with this as it's a common problem in these vehicles. Is there a GM rep on here who can or is willing to help me with this?? It's ridiculous that you pay $30-50K for these vehicle and have to jump through hoops to get stuff like this fixed.
Old May 4th, 2016, 4:17 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by supply_guard
My 2010 GMC Sierra has 83K miles on it and the dash has cracked behind the instrument cluster dome. I had the same thing happen to my 2007 Tahoe and was able to get the dealer to replace it for $100. I contacted the same dealer and they want $400 to replace this one on my GMC. I think it's a crock of crap to deal with this as it's a common problem in these vehicles. Is there a GM rep on here who can or is willing to help me with this?? It's ridiculous that you pay $30-50K for these vehicle and have to jump through hoops to get stuff like this fixed.
Hello supply_guard,

Our team would be glad to work with your dealership toward a potential resolution. We're available via private message and only need your VIN, contact information, and the name of the involved dealership to get started. I do genuinely apologize for any trouble you've experienced as a result and hope you hear from you soon.

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????