Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Stability Trak

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2011, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stability Trak

Some months back, my suburban's engine light came on. I took it in to get checked and it turns out it was the TPS. Didn't know what that was, so did some research. Now, it is telling me that the stability trak needs to be serviced. I read some posts similar to mine. Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to get this fixed?
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:42 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tps

TPS is either This Place Sucks or Throttle Position Sensor.
Old July 14th, 2011, 5:17 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SuburbanABC
Some months back, my suburban's engine light came on. I took it in to get checked and it turns out it was the TPS. Didn't know what that was, so did some research. Now, it is telling me that the stability trak needs to be serviced. I read some posts similar to mine. Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to get this fixed?
Welcome to the forum,
What year and engine do you have for your Suburban, as the GMT900's have the Throttle Position Sensor(s) built into the gas peddle....
Old July 15th, 2011, 7:54 AM
CF Addict

Default Tps

I don't believe that's possible.

the TPS should be on the engine by definition.

where your foot is has nothing to do with where the throttle is.

unless you take for granted the fact that (in the old ones) the steel cable would never wear out, or (in the new ones) there is no chance of where you foot is being different than where the throttle is.

From my understanding your foot moves a pedal w/a sensor that moves a servo that opens the throttle on the intake. If that link were to break or not be 100% accurate, then you couldn't do what you are suggesting.

I believe the TPS sensor remains on the engine side... not at the foot.

If you are going to get an accurate throttle postion, the sensor MUST be on the throttle. not the device that activates a servo to adjust the throttle, while crossing your finger's that all works perfectly.

the pedal sensor would be just that. a pedal sensor...

But this is GM, so they may have saved $14.99 and skipped the engine side sensor... I have the FSM at home (i'm at work now)... so I'll take a peek.

But, that's how I would have designed it...
Old July 15th, 2011, 9:41 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

My bad its the APP which is similar in function the TPS that I was thinking of...

Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor
The accelerator pedal contains 2 individual APP sensors within the assembly. The Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensors 1 and 2 are potentiometer type sensors each with 3 circuits:

• A 5-volt reference circuit

• A low reference circuit

• A signal circuit

The APP sensors are used to determine the pedal angle. The engine control module (ECM) provides each APP sensor a 5-volt reference circuit and a low reference circuit. The APP sensors provide the ECM with signal voltage proportional to the pedal movement. The APP sensor 1 signal voltage at rest position is less than 1 volt and increases to above 4 volts as the pedal is actuated. The APP sensor 2 signal voltage at rest position is near 0.5 volt and increases to more than 2 volts as the pedal is actuated.

Throttle Body Assembly
The throttle assembly contains the following components:

• The throttle blade

• The throttle actuator motor

• The throttle position (TP) sensor 1 and 2

The throttle body functions similar to a conventional throttle body with the following exceptions:

• An electric motor opens and closes the throttle valve.

• The throttle blade is spring loaded in both directions and the default position is slightly open.

• There are 2 individual TP sensors within the throttle body assembly.

The TP sensors are used to determine the throttle plate angle. The TP sensors provide the engine control module (ECM) with a signal voltage proportional to throttle plate movement. The TP sensor 1 signal voltage at closed throttle is above 4 volts and decreases as the throttle plate is opened. The TP sensor 2 signal voltage at closed throttle is below 1 volt and increases as the throttle plate is opened.
Old July 15th, 2011, 1:48 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

And the throttle doesn't respond instantly as a cable/linkage operated one would. Therein lies the reason why full throttle starts aren't.
Old July 18th, 2011, 9:01 AM
CF Addict

Default response

I'm not sure about that.

with a cable, the fastest you could ever move is the speed of your foot.

with a servo, the fastest IT could move is the speed of the servo, as directed by your foot.

as long as the servo is as fast, it's the same. minus the speed of electricity, which last I checked is near instantanious....

http://www.radioelectronicschool.net...ds/howfast.pdf

so... about no.

Also the engine could not support V4 mode w/out this gizmo.

nor could OnCrack or the police interrupt your throttle control... it's 1984 all over again
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Doesn't matter how fast your foot or servo response is if the software intentionally is written to slow the response (torque mgmt) which is probably how they can offer the 5/100 PT warranty.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 9:27 AM
CF Addict

Default hmm

that's an intresting proposition.

it appears (from my use) it's setup to offer max MPG until you mash your foot down... then the truck MOVES at the obvious expense of fuel....

this is how most modern drive by wire throttle's appear to 'handle'...

but yea, i see no reason why you couldn't modify it.

I do like how the H2 would adjust the throttle curve in 4-low so it didn't 'jerk' the vehicle around off road... i wished my wrangler did that
Old July 24th, 2011, 8:42 PM
Administrator

Blackbear can remove some or all of the torque mgmt.