Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 TPMS Swap. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2007, 4:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 TPMS Swap. Please Help!

Please help! I have a 2007 Tahoe that I am trading in on a 2007 Avalanche. I swapped the aftermarket wheels from the Tahoe to the Avalanche but have yet to try and relearn the tire positions. My question is can I use the old style sensors (the 1 piece sensor with the metal valve stem) with my Avalanche which had the new style TPMS (2 peice with rubber valve stem)?
I need to remove the new style sensors from my stock wheels. Does anyone know how to remove these sensors? The sensor unscrews but the tire shop I am using does not know how to remove the valve stem for this new sensor.
Old February 28th, 2007, 4:41 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2007 TPMS Swap. Please Help!

The metal stem and the newer rubber stem TPM's are compatible with each other, to remove the new "snap-in" style valve stems you will have to dismount the tire and remove the small TORX head screw that holds the stem to the sensor then pull the stem striaght out of the rim.
Old February 28th, 2007, 4:57 PM
CF Junior Member

So I should be able to relearn the tire positions on my new Avalanche using the wheels (and TPMS) from my Tahoe right?
I just tried this but I cannot get the first wheel (LF) to respond (ie to get the horn to honk even after 15 sec of letting air out and waiting as much as a minute). If I move onto the FR the horn will honk as it is supposed to and I can finish with RR and LR. It doesn't register correctly though. I think the LF sensor might be bad.
Thoughts?
Old February 28th, 2007, 5:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds as thought the LF sensor may have an issue but have the dealer give it a try with their TPMs tool before you get too excited.
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:26 PM
CF Beginner

Hey "ZX" could I get in on this too? I also have problems with not being able to "relearn" the tire positions after a tire rotation. We tried adding air up to nearly 39PSI no beep, we tried lowering the pressure to about 18psi and still no beep. I can't afford to pay $50 just to rotate the tires. Before the rotation I had gotten a DIC message to check left tire pressure, but when I checked it using the DIC it was fine I then checked it with a hand held guage and it was the same as the DIC stated. Does a bad receiver have any effect on the key fob? (someone said it was the same receiver.) I appreciate any and all help.
Old November 7th, 2007, 9:08 AM
CF Junior Member

After rotating the tires, I tried to reset the TPMS and followed the instructions carefully. They advise having the engine off and the key in the on position. In the reset mode I did receive the 2 beep confirmation, but no matter how much air I let out or in, I could not get the 1 beep recognition signal. I tried several times and the constant result was a new error message telling me to service the TPMS. Wait, it gets worse. Now I go to restart the Tahoe....and the battery is dead from the 20 minute effort. After jump starting, a trip to the dealer and their TPMS "tool" solved the problem.The manager did not charge for the service, and he explained that he gets 2 to 3 - 2007 Chevy's in the shop daily,with the light on for TPMS malfunction. My conclusion: do not try to reset...be happy that they are working, even if the positions are incorrect. If one tire loses pressure, then get out of the car and check them all with a guage to find out which one.
Old November 7th, 2007, 8:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to be able to relearn. Now I have three od style and one news style sensors (one broke and had to be replaced and only new style is available.) I can no longer relearn. I'm going to dealer to have them tool it tomorrow.
Old January 6th, 2009, 8:18 PM
CF Beginner

i have a 07 silverado i bought 22in rims for it they dont have the tpms in them i get the display that say service tire montering system will it mess up my computer if i dont get the tpms in them or will it be ok
Old January 6th, 2009, 8:30 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

No it won't mess up anything but you might not pass your local vehicle inspection if the light remains on.
I believe I have read in this forum that you could probably throw the old(working) sending units into the glove box and the sensor would be happy.

you should be able to get replacement sender units for your new rims