Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 Tahoe rear wiper not working

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2012, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Tahoe rear wiper not working

The wiper nor the washer on the rear is working. Ive checked the fuse but its fine. Is the motor the only other culprit? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated....thanks in advance.
Old February 16th, 2012, 2:12 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum,
The motor is a good place to start, but before you buy a new one and replace it, make sure that voltage is getting the current motor...
Remove the rear panel to gain access to the motor and have someone activate it while you check for voltage... if you get voltage the the circuit is working and the motor is probably bad...
If no power then the circuit is broken somewhere...
Old February 17th, 2012, 7:28 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check the voltage this weekend and see what's happening. I've called around and motors aren't cheap. I also noticed this morning that the rear defroster isn't working either, so I'm anxious to see what the volt meter tells me. Thanks again.
Old February 28th, 2012, 4:52 PM
RPC
CF Beginner

Default Rear Wiper Not Working

I had the same issue...Local reapir shop found burned wires in the harness between the body and the lift gate
Old May 10th, 2013, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear wiper motor

So what happens if you don't find the burnt wiring harness...the voltages to the Orange and gray wire are fine but the new motor and the old motor do not work still?
The ground wire looks perfectly fine at the wiring harness between the body and the lift gate. I am getting confused as to where to go next..Do I need to try and bypass the harness with a new ground even though I have a solid ground at the motor plug?
Old May 10th, 2013, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum,
The motor is a good place to start, but before you buy a new one and replace it, make sure that voltage is getting the current motor...
Remove the rear panel to gain access to the motor and have someone activate it while you check for voltage... if you get voltage the the circuit is working and the motor is probably bad...
If no power then the circuit is broken somewhere...
Hello...so the voltage at the wiring harness to the motor reads like this.
Black Gnd.
Orange 12v
Gray 12 volts when switch is on (0 volts when off)
Grn 0 volts with switch on or off
Pink/blk 0 volts (I know this is the rear window ajar indicator wire)

So I have good voltage to the motor but it doesn't work. I ordered a brand new motor and installed it only to have the exact same issue...what am I missing?? LOL I also did inspect the harness between the body and lift gate and there are no signs of any excessive heat or melting.

Any advice would be great!!!
Bill
Old May 10th, 2013, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Smile Never over look the obvious!!!

Disregard my recent requests for answers...I got it!! Woohooo
The moral to the story is to never overlook the obvious, usually the answer is staring you in the face.

So you want to know what I was doing wrong...ok here goes.
It finally dawned on me after reading the schematic 5 times the pink/blk wire was the key....rear window ajar indicator wire.

Duhhhh, I was doing all my testing on the harness and motor harness with the lift gate open. Close the lift gate and voila it was off and running!! Holy cow, I spent an extra hour diddly dinking around trying to look for burnt wire harnesses...

Ok, so you all got your laugh for the week...er month maybe.
The following users liked this post:
jnthondarkness (January 20th, 2024)
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Rear wiper not working

My rear wiper stop working. The fluid still squirts out of but the wiper doesn't work. Is there anyone out there with this issue. I'm trying to figure should I go buy a new motor or could it be something else
Old February 26th, 2015, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by q.jones101
My rear wiper stop working. The fluid still squirts out of but the wiper doesn't work. Is there anyone out there with this issue. I'm trying to figure should I go buy a new motor or could it be something else
My wiper never worked when I bought my 05 Burb used. I took the rear panel off, ran a new ground (wasn't sure where the old one ran to) and it worked. I would try that before buying a new motor. When you're back there you could test the wires for voltage as well.

Last edited by jolson; February 26th, 2015 at 1:09 PM. Reason: typo 05...not 03
Old January 3rd, 2020, 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by q.jones101
What was your fix? My 06 tahoe has the same problem... rear wiper sprays fluid, but the wiper does not work on any speed. I think I checked both fuses a d tried a new motor. Could it be the switch?

Quick Reply: 2004 Tahoe rear wiper not working