Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Suburban - Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2014, 5:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Suburban - Fluid Leak

Hey guys. I recently noticed a drip on my driveway that looked like oil. I got underneath and found the oil filter was a bit loose. I thought it was that. When I took it to the dealer to have them service it, I asked them to check if I had an oil leak. I was told that I didn't. Well fast forward a couple of months and it's back. It started dripping again, black drips. This time I crawl underneath, the filter is nice and tight, but the transmission pan has a coating of fluid on the underside, the stabilizer bar has some, so does the whole underside of the tranny housing.

Anyway, long story short, I can't seem to figure out where this is coming from. It doesn't look like transmission fluid, but I'm going to replace the pan seal this weekend anyway. Some of the bolts there look like they have a leak. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Couple of pics to show reference.

See the drip on the bolt next to the filter:

Transmission pan:

Old November 26th, 2014, 6:43 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

It looks like crankcase oil from what I can tell in the picture. You need to use some brake cleaner and clean it all off and then check it a few days later.
Old November 28th, 2014, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default Oil Leak

Oil generally won't travel forward, unless it is running down something, then in large quantity. I would look at the farthest point forward that you see the oil. It looks as if the rear main is leaking, just guessing, by the thin film of oil. Take the flywheel cover off and see if the oil originates up around the rear of the crank.
Old November 29th, 2014, 4:24 PM
CF Junior Member

All things I was hoping to avoid....thanks for the help. Will spray it down tomorrow and see what happens. If it's the rear main, I'm probably going to trade it in. I'm tired of fixing things on a 6 year old truck.
Old December 1st, 2014, 7:47 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Do you have an external oil cooler, if so it may be the lines that connect to the filter mount housing...
I agree with the above suggestions, get it cleaned up and watch it daily for a week or so... and keep in mind that the oil is likely being blown back on everything adding to the mystery leak location...