Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Tahoe Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2012, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Tahoe Electrical Problems

Hello, I own an 08 Tahoe LT with 97800 miles. I have recently had two new batteries that have failed (purchased from Auto Zone). I am on third battery in the last month. The newest battery is more powerful that the two previous ones. I replaced the previous batteries as Auto Zone said they had failed. After getting the third battery, a week later, I pulled into my garage and stopped, turned the car off - went to use the key fab to lock the car and found that the Tahoe was completely dead - no electrical lights, no dome lights - nothing. I popped hood, checked battery cables - all good. A few minues later, electrical fully back on and everything worked fine. The same incident occurred last night. Pulled into the garage. Stopped the car, turned it off, then - again.... no electrical power. Repeated same process... a few minutes later... power fully back on. Any ideas what coul dbe causing the problem? Could it be the battery again??? Thank you for your time.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 9:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

IME, the simplest cause to the problem is the bolts

connecting the side terminals to the cables.

Completely remove the bolts, inspect for corrosion and verdigris.

(Either white or green powder) Also pay close attention to the

cable ends under the bolts.

This is very common. Case in point: Last year I replaced the battery in

my GF's Chevy pickup. Less than 12 months later, the negative

bolt on the battery is corroding.

A test of your charging system may be in order. You can visually check the

wire leading from the rear of the alternator to the positive cable

mounting junction on the front driver side of the engine.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 8:16 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> traveler2012,

"therewolf" makes some great points. It sounds like you are losing a connection somewhere. I also suggest checking the terminals and the cables for any possible corrosion. You may want to consider having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 3rd, 2012, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

therewolf,
thanks for the reply. After I wrote my last message, yesterday - as I was driving away from home, the auto locks started clicking - locks popped up and down and the dash lights flickered - radio /clock reset while I was driving. I took it back to AutoZone and had them check the battery. They hooked it up to diagnostic machine and said it was good. What's suspicious is that the first time their battery went out, their machine said it was good. It wasn't until I told them about the electical problems that they felt it would be better to replace it with a new one. Then, last time I was there, I heard one of the employee tell his boss that they had a shipment of bad batteries and that another client was bringing his battery back. I will certainly check the bolts and cables for corrosion as you indicated,however, I'm starting to think that the common denominator here is faulty batteries. I should have purchased a reliable battery from Sears (DieHard) or Interstate Batteries, etc. Can you tell me the best way to clean the connectors on the cables leading back to the small black box on the firewall?
Old April 4th, 2012, 9:01 AM
Super Moderator

The one common denominator with all your systems is ground.

Very possibly your engine to firewall ground strap is corroded,

or your negative cable is wiped out.

The main problem here; is bad primary wiring is the seed

for alternator, starter, and battery replacements.

Many shady mechanics avoid replacing the wires, because

they know 15$ worth of faulty parts are going to bring them

hundreds of dollars of your business...
Old April 8th, 2012, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Therewolf... You were right on the money!! A mechanic wanted to take it for a test drive and I decided against it. Instead, I removed both positive and negative battery cables, cleaned the end brackets and the battery's terminals with small wire brush, put them back on snug and problem fixed!! I did price the negative battery cable through Chevy and it would have cost me $96.00 plus labor. Total cost for this job besides my free time: zero. Thanks again for the advice!
Old April 8th, 2012, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Louis,

Thanks for the advice. I inspected the battery cables and found that the standard ground cable that attaches to the battery has a permanent end that cannot be removed. I was unable to see any corrosion. -- As I replied to 'therewolf', I ended up removing both battery cables, cleaned both of their ends as well as the battery terminals with a small wire brush, reinstalled the cables, and the problem has been fixed. Thank you for the advice.
Old April 9th, 2012, 5:01 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, George of Jungle just here to help.

What you can do with the engine -to- firewall strap is use a

24" negative cable(they come with bolt connectors on each end, at your

local discount parts stores), go from any bolt on the passenger-side engine to

the exposed firewall on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

Viola! New E-2-F ground-strap.

Now consider that if you DIY, you can get both positive and negative

cables from a parts store for @25$, a Chilton or Haines Manual for @

12$, and components for an an oil change, all for @ the same 96$ you

would have paid a dealership for that one cable.

Be sure to use our "Thread Search" feature, here at CF, and save

yourself many hundreds of dollars.

Enjoy the ride, and stay in touch...

Last edited by therewolf; April 9th, 2012 at 5:07 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by traveler2012
Hello, I own an 08 Tahoe LT with 97800 miles. I have recently had two new batteries that have failed (purchased from Auto Zone). I am on third battery in the last month. The newest battery is more powerful that the two previous ones. I replaced the previous batteries as Auto Zone said they had failed. After getting the third battery, a week later, I pulled into my garage and stopped, turned the car off - went to use the key fab to lock the car and found that the Tahoe was completely dead - no electrical lights, no dome lights - nothing. I popped hood, checked battery cables - all good. A few minues later, electrical fully back on and everything worked fine. The same incident occurred last night. Pulled into the garage. Stopped the car, turned it off, then - again.... no electrical power. Repeated same process... a few minutes later... power fully back on. Any ideas what coul dbe causing the problem? Could it be the battery again??? Thank you for your time.
I know this post is old, but I also own a 2008 Tahoe LT with 70000 miles. I have recently had the same exact electrical problems as you. I mean EXACT same problems. I took it to the dealer and the said my negative battery cable is bad and it is causing the battery current sensor(the sensor that is around the negative cable) to short out the electrical system in the car. They wanted to charge me $294 for parts and labor. I found an AC Delco cable on rockauto.com for $56 with shipping and installed myself. Took about an hour.
I am curious to know if your problem is resolved.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 4:22 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Joshbarlow
Welcome to the forum...
thanks for the follow up on the post, old or not, if you found a fix, that's a good thing...

Quick Reply: 2008 Tahoe Electrical Problems