Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 30th, 2015, 8:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Z71 Tahoe "Service Park Assist"

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2014, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Z71 Tahoe "Service Park Assist"

I recently bought a 2008 z71 tahoe. On the back bumper one of the parking sensors had been knocked out. So every time I start the car the "Service Park Assist" light on the dash lights up. And I cannot turn off the park assist with manual button. That little button is always lit and just flashes when I press it. So I ordered a new sensor and installed it… But that still didn't fix it… SO then I ordered a whole new wiring harness for it and installed that… Still doesn't work! What else could it be?????

Also I have a trailer hitch locked in that was in the hitch when I got the Tahoe so I don't have the key to take it off. But… I have read that if it had to do with the hitch, then it would say "Park Assist Blocked" not "Service Park Assist." Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old February 27th, 2014, 7:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure all the sensors are as far back as they can go. Just give them a good push from inside the bumper.
Old February 27th, 2014, 8:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I'd find a way to take the hitch out...just to be sure.
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
I'd find a way to take the hitch out...just to be sure.
Yeah I agree. I have bolt cutters... but it is too thick for them to cut. Guess I'll have to get a locksmith? Dang.
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by trainwreck91
Make sure all the sensors are as far back as they can go. Just give them a good push from inside the bumper.
Yeah they are in. Do you know if the back up sensor alignment has anything to do with it? Have you ever heard of this? Like shown in this picture? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 2008 Z71 Tahoe "Service Park Assist"-back-up-sensor-allignment.jpg  
Old February 28th, 2014, 3:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Plasma cutter would make quick work of it. Perhaps a local shop has one and would be willing to cut it off for a modest fee. Just a thought.
Old February 28th, 2014, 8:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I just reviewed the park assist system for your vehicle. You are correct; it will display "park assist off" if a trailer hitch is install and "service park assist" for a fault in the system.

codes will be set in the object alarm module. retrieve these fault codes and post them here. these codes can only be read with a full function scan tool
Old March 13th, 2014, 9:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in a similar situation. I have a 2009 Suburban LT I replaced the rear sensors, (yes, all 4, I did not want to have 3 reds and the new black, so yes all 4 so they matched.) I also replaced the factory harness as when removing the old sensors the harness disintegrated. (I would like to call it corrosion, anyone disagree?)

Driving forward I get the "service park assist" message at about 8-10 MPH. I clear it to see my odometer, and next time I slow to a stop and start up again it blinks back on with "service park assist"

The funny thing is - when I get home and back into my driveway, when I start to get close to the garage, I get a yellow LED in the rear pillar indicator. I go a few more inches and I get 2 yellow LEDs. I put it in park, put on the park brake and done.

So why does it function in reverse, but send me the "Service park assist" error in while in "Drive"? I don't have a scan tool that can read the specific fault codes. Any suggestions?
Old March 13th, 2014, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Same issue with my 08 burb...the right rear sensor was popped out...I'm assuming it is damaged...interested in your findings ..