Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2009 Tahoe add Bluetooth??

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2011, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Tahoe add Bluetooth??

I have a 2009 Tahoe with the 6 disc CD and all of the audio controls on the steering wheel. It does not have OnStar. Is there a way for me to add the factory bluetooth to this vehicle? If so what do I need to do?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've probably heard that the Bluetooth for phone option is not available on vehicles ordered with OnStar delete. It's true. The Bluetooth antenna module plugs into the OnStar VCIM which is then programmed for it.
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:21 AM
CF Addict

Default ummm

i was under the impression that all 09+ tahoe's had bluetooth, u do not need OnCrap for it to work.

when you press (hold)the button on the wheel and say 'bluetooth' what does it say?

you should be able to say 'pair' next...

and pair your phone.

say 'HELP' for all commands.
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

You don't need a subscription but you do need the hardware. The OP said "does not have OnStar" which I took as a vehicle with OnStar delete from the factory.
Old March 14th, 2011, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

The steering wheel control only mutes the audio, it does not allow me to get into Bluetooth mode. It appears I have the equipment for OnStar as I have the mic located above the drivers door and I have all of the steering wheel controls. I don't have the OnStar buttons on my mirror so my assumption is that it's wired for everything but they leave out the mirror controls and the OnStar unit. Does anyone know if it's possible to just add the OnStar unit just so I can get factory Bluetooth?
Old March 14th, 2011, 2:52 PM
CF Addict

Default OnCrap

I don't think you CAN delete OnCrap.

have you tried HOLDING the button as the manual says?

a press is mute, hold is voice commands for phone/oncrap.
Old March 14th, 2011, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Holding the button down doesn't do anything, it only mutes the radio. We tried holding it down and saying commands but nothing happens. I think I need the OnStar module to make it work but I'm not sure if it will work in my vehicle since it was ordered without OnStar
Old March 14th, 2011, 5:51 PM
CF Veteran

You're going to get a lot of resistance from the service department. Even replacing a defective VCIM is a lot of hassle for them.
Old March 14th, 2011, 6:31 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by rileyj
Holding the button down doesn't do anything, it only mutes the radio. We tried holding it down and saying commands but nothing happens. I think I need the OnStar module to make it work but I'm not sure if it will work in my vehicle since it was ordered without OnStar

I think you only have to hold the button down for two or three seconds for voice command. Check your owners manual.
Old March 14th, 2011, 6:40 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I agree w/ SabrToothSqrl. There is no OnStar delete option.

Quick Reply: 2009 Tahoe add Bluetooth??