Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2010 suburban towing capabilty and issues

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2011, 11:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 suburban towing capabilty and issues

Hello Guys! I had a 03 Escalade 6.0 AWD that I just traded in for a 2010 Chevy Suburban LS. I had no problems towing with the Escalade, but now I can sense a hesitation with the Suburban while towing on the highway, usually around 70 MPH. The gear keeps shifting up and down. I'm wondering how I can increase my towing capabilty. It has a 5.3 engine with a 6 speed tranny and a 3.04 axle ratio. What is the max load I can tow with those specifications? I have a 6x10 enclosed trailer loaded with equipment and the total weight for the trailer and equipment is apporx. 4,000-6,000 lbs....I dont know if it has an aux cooler for the tranny, so I'm wondering if I can tow this without any problems. Thank you for any help that you can give me!
Old September 28th, 2011, 7:21 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sal007
Hello Guys! I had a 03 Escalade 6.0 AWD that I just traded in for a 2010 Chevy Suburban LS. I had no problems towing with the Escalade, but now I can sense a hesitation with the Suburban while towing on the highway, usually around 70 MPH. The gear keeps shifting up and down. I'm wondering how I can increase my towing capabilty. It has a 5.3 engine with a 6 speed tranny and a 3.04 axle ratio. What is the max load I can tow with those specifications? I have a 6x10 enclosed trailer loaded with equipment and the total weight for the trailer and equipment is apporx. 4,000-6,000 lbs....I dont know if it has an aux cooler for the tranny, so I'm wondering if I can tow this without any problems. Thank you for any help that you can give me!
I have the 2010 suburban LT with a 3.08 axle same engine/trans. Through research I have discovered to my dismay that the max towing capacity without the auxiallary transmission cooler is about 5100 pounds. Not only does the aux cooler add to the towing capacity but the rear end ratio has alot to do with towing. 3.42 axle raises the towing capacity with the aux coolers to almost 8000 pounds. I added a oem trans cooler and feel better about the trans temp when towing my 5000 pound camper. Id just watch my trans temp, stop and go raises the temp more than highway. I havent been able to find out if adding the trans cooler with the 3.08 rearend raises my towing capacity, but I would imagine it does and would feel pretty good about towing 6k with my setup. I have read in other forums that people with the 3.08 rearend tow a great amount with no problems. Espically if your a weekend tower as I am.

Last edited by jerheye; September 28th, 2011 at 7:29 AM.
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

sal007: Welcome to the forum.

Your owner's manual should give the tow rating. Might try use the "Tow/Haul" mode to eliminate the tranny hunting.
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Banned

The up and down shifts are what heats up trans resulting in damage.The after market cooler is a must and towing in tow mode is critical.
Old October 5th, 2011, 2:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings Sal, welcome to the Forum !

Just in case you don't have an Ops Manual or may not know that the "Tow Selector" switch which puts the transmission in tow mode, is usually located in the end of the Handle for the Column Gear Selector. And, you should get a light/indicator on the Dash Display, that you are in Tow Mode.

Last edited by SWHouston; October 5th, 2011 at 2:11 PM.
Old October 5th, 2011, 2:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by T.Neff
The up and down shifts are what heats up trans resulting in damage.The after market cooler is a must and towing in tow mode is critical.
Yes. If your suburban has a tow package, you will have a switch on the gear select that will decrease the shifting of the transmission on hills.
Old October 5th, 2011, 3:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin, HA HA YEA, good point !
Ya the Package would had to have been installed, to get the Button !
Old October 9th, 2011, 7:59 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Thought it was standard.
Old October 9th, 2011, 8:12 PM
CF Active Member

The 3:04 axle ratio cant be helping your towing situation either. Why would a towing pkg. be offered with an economy/hi-way gear ratio?

Last edited by LTL4life; October 10th, 2011 at 6:09 PM.
Old October 11th, 2011, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Having just purchased an 11 suburban I went through a lot of research since I tow up 7500 lbs often. I just got rid of both an f250 6.0 diesel and an excursion with v10 for the suburban. There is no comparison but the 5.3 with 3.42 rear end does pretty well.fortunently I found out about the taller rear end before I purchased it. Most all of the Yukon xl and suburbans around me had the tall rear ends. I have also has an 04 denali with awd and the 6.0 it was the worst tow vehicle ever but sure drove smooth!!
In my research all tow package equipped models had the 3.48 rear end. If you tow much you should really think of trading it in for an tow package equipped one. If you try to replace all the additional coolers and gearing I am sure you would spend a lot more!

Quick Reply: 2010 suburban towing capabilty and issues