Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Killed my Tahoe by programming fob!

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2016, 3:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killed my Tahoe by programming fob!

I purchased a new key fob online for my 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ. I tried to program the fob and in the middle of the process I began receiving notifications to "Service Battery Charging System, Service Stabilitrak and Service Traction Control". These errors came out of nowhere. The fob actually worked to lock and unlock the doors but I then found that the car would not start, with the regular key even! I waited about 15 minutes and came back out and tried again. This time the car is completely dead, no dash lights or anything when trying to start the car...Please help!
Old January 9th, 2016, 9:48 AM
CF Active Member

Did the same thing reprogramming two new ones a while back. Remember when your in the programming mode the headlights are on as well as tail lights and side markers and such as well as anything else you have on inside the truck, quite a bit of drain if you think about it.

I'd clean the battery's terminals and charge it with a smart charger and leave the charger on it while you finish programming you new remotes. Might have the battery load tested also, you might've found out the hard way you have a bad cell in your battery?
Old January 9th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Ogden434: Welcome to the forum.

The first thing I would do is check the battery voltage as previously suggested. If it is low, you need to charge it up. If it's OK, then remove the negative cable for 15 minutes. See if that resets the computer.
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Would using jumper cables work? I don't have access to a smart charger...

Originally Posted by magician
Did the same thing reprogramming two new ones a while back. Remember when your in the programming mode the headlights are on as well as tail lights and side markers and such as well as anything else you have on inside the truck, quite a bit of drain if you think about it.

I'd clean the battery's terminals and charge it with a smart charger and leave the charger on it while you finish programming you new remotes. Might have the battery load tested also, you might've found out the hard way you have a bad cell in your battery?
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

you should have a charger hooked up anytime you do any programming, battery voltage gets low and all sorts of things can go wrong.
Old January 10th, 2016, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, well I wish that info had been included with any of the "easy to use" instructions for programming this fob...

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
you should have a charger hooked up anytime you do any programming, battery voltage gets low and all sorts of things can go wrong.
Old January 10th, 2016, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I jumped it and left it hooked up while I programmed the fob. But the remote start won't work still on the new fob...

Old January 10th, 2016, 7:21 PM
CF Active Member

Make sure you don't have a CEL, remote start won't work with an active CEL. Also won't work with the hood open.

You can take the battery to an Autozone or Advance Auto to check it. If the charge is low they will charge it up to test, most of the time for free.

Make sure you clean the battery terminals.
Old January 11th, 2016, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you! I do have a CEL so that explains that!

Make sure you don't have a CEL, remote start won't work with an active CEL. Also won't work with the hood open.

You can take the battery to an Autozone or Advance Auto to check it. If the charge is low they will charge it up to test, most of the time for free.

Make sure you clean the battery terminals.
Old January 11th, 2016, 2:20 PM
CF Active Member

You can get one of those parts superstores to download and clear the code as well. Some will do it, some won't due to liability. A decent code scanner runs less than $50 at those stores as well.