Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

97 Chevy Suburban wont start

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2013, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Chevy Suburban wont start

I checked the noise for the fuel pump and didn't hear anything, so I replaced the fuel pump with a delphi unit. Still didn't start, so I checked to see if I had spark, and I pulled a plug and verified I was getting some spark... With the key in the run position, I checked for fuel pressure by pressing the schrader valve and I'd get an initial squirt, then nothing till I cycled the ignition switch again....

Could this be a fuel regulator problem? How do I know if the new pump is bad or if it's a regulator? What else should I be looking for?
Old February 3rd, 2013, 6:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Think the pump is fine. Define "some spark".
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

I pulled a plug, reconnected the wire and held it up against the exhaust manifold. I saw a bright yellow spark.
Old February 5th, 2013, 3:40 PM
CF Senior Member

What is your fuel pressure?how long will it hold the pressure for?
Old February 5th, 2013, 3:55 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulSwany
I pulled a plug, reconnected the wire and held it up against the exhaust manifold. I saw a bright yellow spark.
Is this a distrbutor? I think the ignition is the issue. You should see a white arc, yellow or orange is weak.
Old February 6th, 2013, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shamrock246
What is your fuel pressure?how long will it hold the pressure for?
I don't know. I need to get a fuel pressure gauge.

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Is this a distrbutor? I think the ignition is the issue. You should see a white arc, yellow or orange is weak.
Distributor? I'm not sure. When I looked at what I thought was the distributor, I didn't see a conventional distributor cap... Looked like a metal plate with solid state components underneath. What am I looking at?
Old February 6th, 2013, 8:59 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might have coil packs vs a distributor... I can't remember when they did the switch.

does sound like your getting weak spark tho... should be more blue/white... but it sounds like fuel pressure is still in the running too until you can get at it with a guage.

:chug:
Old February 8th, 2013, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

My fuel pressure is holding around 60 psi, so I'm pretty sure that's as it should be. I changed the cap and rotor and it's still not starting. I'm thinking maybe the pickup might be bad... I got a set of plugs too since it's been 100k since they were last changed...
Old February 9th, 2013, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

I changed the cap, rotor and pickup and got it running! Pretty rough though.. I'm going to change the plugs and see if that helps.
Old February 9th, 2013, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and have a buddy crank the engine. the fuel pressure should jump around a little bit. The needle should vibrate is the best way to explain it. This will tell you if your even getting fuel past the injectors. Its possible that the injectors are not even working. If i remember correctly they all share a power circuit and it is a pink wire that should have 12 volts going to them. The wire will be powered at the run and start position on the ignition. If you have power to all of your injectors then id check if your injectors are being controlled. A little tool called the noid light will be your best friend. you plug it in to every injector connector and it tells you if your vcm/ecm is commanding the injectors.

Quick Reply: 97 Chevy Suburban wont start