Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2011 Tahoe 4x4 initial acceleration hesitation

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2011, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2011 Tahoe 4x4 initial acceleration hesitation

Any mechanics out there want to take a stab at this one before I head in for a shop visit?

I love my 2011 LTZ Tahoe 4x4, I only have 5500 miles on it. It now has me pissed off though. It feels very jerky and hesitate when stepping on the accelerator at low speeds especially. It feels like it is delayed and then kicks in and throws you into your seat in a way. It also feels like it hits the low gears very roughly. Over all a rough experience at low stop and go speeds that I have going to and from work every day.

Driving me crazy. I would guess it is a transmission or fuel pump or just a fuel system issue. Maybe the modulator that switches it from V4 to V8?

Any ideas or additional questions that might spark an idea?

Thanks,

John
Old May 13th, 2011, 8:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckeyegrad02
Any mechanics out there want to take a stab at this one before I head in for a shop visit?

I love my 2011 LTZ Tahoe 4x4, I only have 5500 miles on it. It now has me pissed off though. It feels very jerky and hesitate when stepping on the accelerator at low speeds especially. It feels like it is delayed and then kicks in and throws you into your seat in a way. It also feels like it hits the low gears very roughly. Over all a rough experience at low stop and go speeds that I have going to and from work every day.

Driving me crazy. I would guess it is a transmission or fuel pump or just a fuel system issue. Maybe the modulator that switches it from V4 to V8?

Thanks,

John
that would be my thoughts but not having driven one to feel that change I can't really speak to it. but I thought that was supposed to be a primarily highway deal. :dunno:

being it's brand new it's def worth getting it looked at...

:chug:
Old May 13th, 2011, 9:11 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Your tepid throttle response is probably due to the torque management scheme GM is using to reduce stress on the drivetrain thereby allowing them to give a 5/100K powertrain warranty. Someone like Blackbear Performance that reprograms the ECM can reduce or eliminate torque mgmt. Of course that will also invalidate your warranty unless you keep a stock ECM to put in for dealer visits.
Old May 13th, 2011, 9:33 PM
Administrator

If the DIC didn't tell you which mode, V4 or V8, you'd never know it has changed.
Old May 14th, 2011, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

When I first got the truck it did not do this at all, or at least it was not as pronounced. Are you thinking this is just a "break in" result that just started to show its true colors?
I had a 2003 Tahoe before this and started to get this type of issue after rolling over 120k miles. I would rather them go back to 75k warrenty and give me a better riding product. Well I guess I will take it in and complain till they write this up for things to address and start replacing parts so that it feels like it did when I first got it...

I got them to replace my gauge cluster and 4x4 modulator on my 2003 for free that way and I was over my 36k warrenty for those.
Old May 14th, 2011, 5:01 PM
Administrator

Definitely take it in and get it documented. If it's not intermittent, then they should be able to fix it.
Old May 16th, 2011, 9:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could be just catching it in the middle of switching gears when you hit the gas so it has to go back to the lower gear. I have heard this happens quite a bit with the newer GM 6 speeds (gear hunting). Cant wait to hear the issues with Chrysler's new 8 speed when it comes out...the transmission wants to get to the higher gear ASAP to max fuel economy, but that makes stop and go driving tricky.

either way you should be able to take it to the dealer so they can make sure everything is "talking" as it should and they may be able to update the shifting some. another thing you can do it manually drop it down a few gears to keep it out of 5th or 6th gear when in stop and go traffic
Old May 18th, 2011, 3:56 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks,

John

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your vehicle. Did you get a chance to get your vehicle into the dealership? If you have and you are still experiencing the issue, please let me know so I can forward this along for you.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Assistance
Old May 19th, 2011, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

I have not been able to find time to get in to the dealer yet. I am hoping to do that next week sometime.
Old May 20th, 2011, 9:38 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have not been able to find time to get in to the dealer yet. I am hoping to do that next week sometime.

I completely understand. I advise you to set up an appointment as soon as you can. Feel free to keep me updated with this issue.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2011 Tahoe 4x4 initial acceleration hesitation