Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2011 Tahoe Chirping Noise Engine Area

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2011, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Tahoe Chirping Noise Engine Area

My wife and I purchased a 2011 Tahoe back in April with about 7,000 miles on it. Over the past few months, there is an intermittent chirping noise on start-up that will last about 30 seconds and go away. Usually seems to occur on a cold start, but not every time.

A similar noise also occurs in high gear high load situations. For example, cruising at 35 MPH if you ease into the throttle enough without the transmission downshifting, a muffled chirping noise is heard from the engine bay area. It sounds very similar to an HVAC blower motor going bad or loose belt tensioner. If you brake torque the truck and get the RPMs up around 1500-1700 the noise can be heard as well. It's faint but definitely noticeable.

I've had it to two different dealers. One couldn't confirm the noise even though I've had two techs ride along who both heard it, and the other that confirmed the noise but said it is normal. They had another 2011 Tahoe on the lot and supposedly heard the noise in that one as well. One dealer put a new belt on it, which didn't change the noise at all, and then replaced the alternator which also didn't improve the noise.

It has gotten worse over the past couple weeks, and I'm still stumped. I read another post on here about someone with a 2007 Tahoe that had a similar noise, and it was a compressor cycling issue making a gurgling noise with the refrigerant. Having the A/C on or off doesn't change this noise.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue and what was replaced to fix it.
Old December 21st, 2011, 9:41 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default warranty

your under factory warranty, head to dealer.

my guess is squirrels.
Old December 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
your under factory warranty, head to dealer.

my guess is squirrels.
Dealers couldn't diagnose a flat tire with a rail road spike coming out of the sidewall. I've had it to two, and they either weren't able to confirm or find what the issue was.
Old December 21st, 2011, 11:26 AM
CF Junior Member

I'd contact the regional manager and document your complaint with them. Keep all documents about the noise, and send them copies of them.

The old saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" works well here. Make enough noise, going up the ladder, and your issue will be resolved.
Old December 21st, 2011, 11:45 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> GreaseMonkey4x4,

I am sorry to hear of your frustrations with your Tahoe. If you PM me your VIN number, I can investigate your vehicle further and find out if there are any known issues relating to your problem.

I look forward to you response.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 21st, 2011, 6:00 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

GreaseMonkey4x4: Welcome to the forum.

I'm betting on the belt.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 6:49 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
GreaseMonkey4x4: Welcome to the forum.

I'm betting on the belt.
It's been replaced. No change to the noise even immediately after the belt was replaced.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey4x4
It's been replaced. No change to the noise even immediately after the belt was replaced.
Both belts? there is a separate one for the AC...might also consider the tensioner...
For troubleshooting purposes try removing each belt one at a time and start the engine... you may have to leave each one off over night so you can get the cold start effect... I suggest laying the removed belt on the wind shield as a reminder its off if you choose this route....
Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I should note that you will likely get Check engine lights if you start and run the vehicle for more then a few minutes without a belt in place for the alternator/generator...disconnecting the battery will clear them...
Old January 3rd, 2012, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Both belts? there is a separate one for the AC...might also consider the tensioner...
For troubleshooting purposes try removing each belt one at a time and start the engine... you may have to leave each one off over night so you can get the cold start effect... I suggest laying the removed belt on the wind shield as a reminder its off if you choose this route....
I was not aware there were two belts. I deal with cars all day for work, so part of me doesn't want to spend my free time dealing with my own car that's under warranty. Guess I'll have to go down that route though.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2011 Tahoe Chirping Noise Engine Area