Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2012 Suburban liftgate problem

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2014, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012 Suburban liftgate problem

I have a 2012 Chevrolet Suburban that I love. It has recently developed an issue where the liftgate won't open. The button inside near the rearview mirror, the button on the key fob or in manual operating mode won't make it open. BUT it always works when i am at the Dealer. Anyone else having this problem.
Old April 21st, 2014, 8:19 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
Are you operating it, or is someone at the dealer operating it when it works?
Make sure the vehicle is in park and that there is plenty of clearance behind the vehicle when its operated....
Just some thoughts...
You might even try it with the parking brake on...
Old April 21st, 2014, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

I am operating it. This has been happening for about a month. Had it to a dealer is SC and again today in MD. Plenty of space behind. Physically turned off inside at rearview mirror area but still won't open. Very random as to when it works and when it does not. Going to DC tomorrow to pickup wine, hope it works.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 7:52 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Alliebb,

So sorry to hear about this! I know it can be frustrating when the dealership is unable to duplicate the concern. Does this issue happen in particular weather conditions? Were you able to leave the vehicle with them for a few days so they can keep an eye on it? Please feel free to send a private message to us with your full contact information, VIN, mileage, and name of involved dealership so we may contact the dealership for further options. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by Alliebb
I have a 2012 Chevrolet Suburban that I love. It has recently developed an issue where the liftgate won't open. The button inside near the rearview mirror, the button on the key fob or in manual operating mode won't make it open. BUT it always works when i am at the Dealer. Anyone else having this problem.
Old May 17th, 2014, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update to Liftgate problem

An update - Hope this helps anyone with similar problem. Took the truck in for a repair appt. on 4/28, after some diagnostics, it was determined the lift gate motor was bad. A new one was ordered and installed that same afternoon. I was a happy person and now had a truck with lift gate that worked. Off i went to SC. After two days in SC, I tried to open the lift gate to load a cabinet and it did not work and would not work for the balance of my time in SC. Not a lift gate motor problem after all.
On my return to MD on 5/12, I dropped the truck off at the dealer with instructions to keep it until it was fixed. After two days, the mechanic found a skinned wire approx. 8" from the X405 connector. This was apparently the problem and was repaired. Which explained why the lift gate worked intermittently. So far the lift gate has continued to work.