Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 ltz tahoe towing issues

Old December 21st, 2014, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by in2pro
Giving those parameters, you are right, you can tow that 165k lbs.....
True, but it's more of a friction coefficient issue..

You get a smooth hard surface, and air up the tires to the max, or put steel wheels on something, and it gets real easy to move it.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 2010 Suburban LTZ. Went to the dealer that had advertised what I was looking for online. I specifically asked if it had the tow package and was told yes. When he pulled the 'burban up I could see just looking through the grille that it didn't have the tow package (no trans cooler). He was surprised to learn that not every Suburban can tow 6500lbs or more. I told him I at least needed RPO Z82, K5L and GU6 (or even better GT4). He pulled the build sheets for the ones he had on the lot and fortunately had one so equipped.

He wasn't trying to deceive me on the phone, he just didn't know. Just saying you have to be educated yourself. BTW, I used to make a living hauling a propane tanker. Pull my TT with the same attitude.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 8:05 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

KAHUNAH Welcome to the forum
Kudos to you are being prepared with and knowing your RPO codes !
That is being prepared for your purchase
Old December 23rd, 2014, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by KAHUNAH
I just purchased a 2010 Suburban LTZ. Went to the dealer that had advertised what I was looking for online. I specifically asked if it had the tow package and was told yes. When he pulled the 'burban up I could see just looking through the grille that it didn't have the tow package (no trans cooler). He was surprised to learn that not every Suburban can tow 6500lbs or more. I told him I at least needed RPO Z82, K5L and GU6 (or even better GT4). He pulled the build sheets for the ones he had on the lot and fortunately had one so equipped.

He wasn't trying to deceive me on the phone, he just didn't know. Just saying you have to be educated yourself. BTW, I used to make a living hauling a propane tanker. Pull my TT with the same attitude.

FYI All 2015 Chevys come equipped with trailering equipment, heavy duty locking rear diff, heavy duty trans cooler, and heavy duty oil cooler. The only added equipment required to attain the max of 8300 is 3.42 rear axle instead of 3.08. With 3.08 gears the towing max is 6300. NOWHERE on the entire Tahoe site is the number 6300 mentioned. (March)
Old December 23rd, 2014, 9:16 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it the 3.42 or the 3.73?
Old December 23rd, 2014, 12:08 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's also not forget the front axle would be different too for those of us who choose 4x4.

Don't want anyone getting any funny ideas
Old December 24th, 2014, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Let's also not forget the front axle would be different too for those of us who choose 4x4.

Don't want anyone getting any funny ideas

Transfer case goes to a 2 speed.
Old December 24th, 2014, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

3.42 for sure
Old December 25th, 2014, 5:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am certainly not an authority on towing by any means and have only done a limited amount, but I have always been told that sway equals improper balance of the trailer with too much weight to the rear of the axle of the trailer.
I'm not saying the vehicle can't be at fault to some extent, but I just can't see how the vehicle could induce that much sway to put the trailer out of control...
Agreed !
That's why I've always been a proponent of weighing the Trailer and Hitch Load separate from the vehicle. When you have exact numbers, it's a lot easier to make conclusions like this. AND, consider reloading to lower the Center of Gravity.

Last edited by SWHouston; December 25th, 2014 at 5:18 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default "not as" happy campers!

I just want to share my experience on this issue.... I believe there is something definitely going on with the newest generation of suburbans.. I have been an owner of a few older model suburbans over the years and I now have a 2015 Chevy Suburban 4x4 LTZ with every possible option available. My wife and I recently went to purchase a new Travel Trailer that was 28' with a dry weight of 6100lbs. We never dreamed we would have an issue towing the trailer, as the Suburban is rated for 8000+lbs. After the purchase and walk through, we started to head back home proud owners of our new TT, only to make it an excruciating 6 miles down the interstate with my wife threatening to get out and walk the rest of the way home. Needless to say, we turned around and headed back to the TT dealership to discuss the issue. I even let the guy who installed the hitch, weight distribution bars and anti sway bars to drive and pull it for himself. He didn't drive it more than 2 miles before turning around and heading back scratching his head in disbelief. We returned the TT that we had our heart set on only to begin the process of trying to find another one as accommodating and with less weight. On our second choice, we went down in length by a couple feet, we dropped the height by about a foot and the weight was dropped to 4600lbs. This time we did a test ride and found this trailer was not as bad as the "near death experience" we had the first time out, but it still felt like it was on the edge of being all that the Suburban could handle. We regrouped and continued our search for another TT but dropping in size and weight "AGAIN" was becoming really challenging; at this point I would compare downsizing or TT to trading our suburban for an equinox (not quite the same vehicle). Anyways, after a week of researching and looking around we found (SETTLED) for a TT that was 23' in length with a dry weight of 3900lbs as well as being 17 inches shorter (exterior height) less than our first choice and 7 foot wide versus 8 foot wide (oh, and we lost a 14 foot slide out as well).....Yes, the Suburban will actually pull this TT but there was a lot to be sacrificed from our original TT choice.... I also want to add that modestly loaded, we are definitely not reaching interstate speeds and we definitely feel the TT behind us each and every mile we travel and the suburban still feels the strain, but at least it is manageable. ............."NOT AS" HAPPY CAMPERS!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 ltz tahoe towing issues