Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 ltz tahoe towing issues

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2016, 2:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow jj, so many of us deal well with the upper weights you mentioned.

You mentioned an installed hitch, so, your vehicle did not have the Towing Package installed originally ?
iow: was there any towing equipment with the original build ?

Is your complaint mainly based on "lack of Power" or "handling" ?

Many find that higher air pressure in both your ride and the TT, offers better control.
I suggest that you find the MCIP (Maximum Cold Inflation Pressure for both,
and adjust those pressures to within 2 lbs of the maximum stated.
You can find the MCIP stamped on the sidewalls of the tires.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Was the tongue weight 10% of the trailer weight? I think I would have gone back to the dealer to find out why it wouldn't tow the trailer that was within the specs.
Old July 24th, 2016, 11:51 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jjmill22
I just want to share my experience on this issue.... I believe there is something definitely going on with the newest generation of suburbans.. I have been an owner of a few older model suburbans over the years and I now have a 2015 Chevy Suburban 4x4 LTZ with every possible option available. My wife and I recently went to purchase a new Travel Trailer that was 28' with a dry weight of 6100lbs. We never dreamed we would have an issue towing the trailer, as the Suburban is rated for 8000+lbs. After the purchase and walk through, we started to head back home proud owners of our new TT, only to make it an excruciating 6 miles down the interstate with my wife threatening to get out and walk the rest of the way home. Needless to say, we turned around and headed back to the TT dealership to discuss the issue. I even let the guy who installed the hitch, weight distribution bars and anti sway bars to drive and pull it for himself. He didn't drive it more than 2 miles before turning around and heading back scratching his head in disbelief. We returned the TT that we had our heart set on only to begin the process of trying to find another one as accommodating and with less weight. On our second choice, we went down in length by a couple feet, we dropped the height by about a foot and the weight was dropped to 4600lbs. This time we did a test ride and found this trailer was not as bad as the "near death experience" we had the first time out, but it still felt like it was on the edge of being all that the Suburban could handle. We regrouped and continued our search for another TT but dropping in size and weight "AGAIN" was becoming really challenging; at this point I would compare downsizing or TT to trading our suburban for an equinox (not quite the same vehicle). Anyways, after a week of researching and looking around we found (SETTLED) for a TT that was 23' in length with a dry weight of 3900lbs as well as being 17 inches shorter (exterior height) less than our first choice and 7 foot wide versus 8 foot wide (oh, and we lost a 14 foot slide out as well).....Yes, the Suburban will actually pull this TT but there was a lot to be sacrificed from our original TT choice.... I also want to add that modestly loaded, we are definitely not reaching interstate speeds and we definitely feel the TT behind us each and every mile we travel and the suburban still feels the strain, but at least it is manageable. ............."NOT AS" HAPPY CAMPERS!
I'd be curious to see the numbers on the original 28' trailer. What was the tongue weight? Was it windy? What were the weather conditions? Lots of factors influence the amount of trailer sway.

The RV companies have been introducing a lot of new "half-ton towable" trailers, ostensibly to open up new markets for them. If my trailer had excessive sway, the first thing I would want to do is INCREASE the weight on the trailer tongue. If I was using WD bars, I'd reduce by a link or two. Also, when packing my gear into the trailer, I'd make sure I put at least some of my stuff all the way forward, again to add weight on the tongue.

Separately, you really need to be careful about buying a trailer based on a vehicle's "tow rating." The Suburban's weak point is its rear axle weight rating. You're going to exceed that number long before you get anywhere near the "tow rating." And if you exceed that number....well, ask my why my '01 Suburban is on rear axle #4. Also, a loaded (meaning highly optioned-out) Suburban has a surprisingly low payload rating.. This is from a 2015 LTZ I found online:

So you have 1410 pounds of payload. Let's do some math using your first trailer:

Trailer tongue weight (13% of 6100) = 793 lbs
Trailer hitch weight (weight bars, hitch) = 50 lbs

That's 843 lbs. Subtract that from 1410, and you're left with 567 lbs of payload for your passengers and gear. I hope your family is really short and skinny. My family of five, including my fat butt and three normal-weight but tall teenagers, weighs over 900 lbs. And I'm sure that 6100 lbs is the dry weight, not the loaded weight, so your tongue weight is likely larger, meaning you have even less left for passengers and gear.

Lastly, if I were you, I'd look seriously at the Hensley or ProPride hitches. It's not just a marketing gimmick - they do eliminate trailer sway. They're not cheap, but compared to the cost/value of your truck, your trailer, and your family's lives, they're bargains.

This is the main reason I upgraded to a Suburban 2500. My payload is 2088 lbs, and my rear axle rating is 1300 lbs higher than the 2015 half-ton. I pulled this behemoth (35', 8600 lbs) with no weight distribution and no sway control on a 1,000-mile trip around the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. One of the easiest and most pleasant towing trips I've ever had.

And my weigh slips - fully loaded with the family, with and without the trailer attached. Empty curb weight of the truck is 6500:
Name:  20150805_132457_zps6xmwemsg.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  183.5 KB

And through the magic of math, if you look at the weight on the four wheels of the truck and subtract...

(3220+5620)-7720 = 1120 lbs trailer tongue weight
16340-7720 = 8620 (the actual weight of the loaded trailer
1120/8620 = 0.12993 or 12.993% trailer tongue weight as a percentage of trailer weight.
Therefore, I'm balanced well, and should have minimal sway.
Again, finding the right trailer/tow vehicle combination is a lot more than just asking, "What's the tow rating of my truck?"

Last edited by intheburbs; July 24th, 2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old November 17th, 2016, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 LTZ Suburban towing issues

I recently traded in my 2006 Tahoe Z71 for a 2015 Suburban LTZ. I used the Tahoe to pull my 23 foot camper and 23 foot snowmobile trailer for the last 4 years. Never had a problem with sway I could drive as fast as I wanted, in control and zero sway. I have a WD hitch only. The new Suburban has the towing package from the factory. I had my camper dealer set up the hitch with me since I needed to have a lower drop shank. The next week I left for South Dakota with the family... The trailer sway was awful I had to stay around 65 mph to keep it in a manageable rhythm. I had stopped on the way to discuss the problem with a RV park. The only advice was that tire side walls could be the issue and should check into tire ratings. I have also recently pulled my empty snowmobile trailer, again noticed significant trailer sway, when compared to the older Tahoe it was nonexistent. I am trying to figure out what is the different between the new suburban and older Tahoe. I will say the Tahoe had tires with a higher weight rating than the tires on the Suburban, I am thinking of replacing them with the same tires I had on the Tahoe. I noticed that others have noticed this with there newer vehicles and wondering if anyone has figured out what the problem is.
Old April 18th, 2018, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I totally agree with you...

Originally Posted by Familytruckster
I recently traded in my 2006 Tahoe Z71 for a 2015 Suburban LTZ. I used the Tahoe to pull my 23 foot camper and 23 foot snowmobile trailer for the last 4 years. Never had a problem with sway I could drive as fast as I wanted, in control and zero sway. I have a WD hitch only. The new Suburban has the towing package from the factory. I had my camper dealer set up the hitch with me since I needed to have a lower drop shank. The next week I left for South Dakota with the family... The trailer sway was awful I had to stay around 65 mph to keep it in a manageable rhythm. I had stopped on the way to discuss the problem with a RV park. The only advice was that tire side walls could be the issue and should check into tire ratings. I have also recently pulled my empty snowmobile trailer, again noticed significant trailer sway, when compared to the older Tahoe it was nonexistent. I am trying to figure out what is the different between the new suburban and older Tahoe. I will say the Tahoe had tires with a higher weight rating than the tires on the Suburban, I am thinking of replacing them with the same tires I had on the Tahoe. I noticed that others have noticed this with there newer vehicles and wondering if anyone has figured out what the problem is.
I totally agree with you.... I still haven't found a solution to towing our trailer except not to go far and not to go fast (55/60 mph) as I have mentioned before, i have a 2015 Suburban LTZ with 275/55/20 Continental Cross Contact tire. Being 20 inch rims, the tires are somewhat a lower profile and I believe it would be hard to find a more aggressive tire load/sidewall rating while still fitting the 20 inch rims and fitting under the somewhat low stance of the 4x4 Suburban. If anyone has any suggestions on what tires within this range works well I would greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks for sharing!!