Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

40a ign fuse blows when I turn the key to start

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2014, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40a ign fuse blows when I turn the key to start

It's a 05 suburban 2wd. So I started it to go fishing and it ran weird and the traction control warning came on. So I shut it off but the truck kept running, so I disconnected the negative cable from the batt. Now when I try to start it the ign A 40a fuse blows. Trouble shooting done so far, visually inspect all wires from battery, all wires that could come in contact with frame or moving parts. Replaced ign switch thinking that it might have been bad and that is why it continued to run. Any ideas.
Old September 13th, 2014, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

I pulled the starter off and got it tested. It did not work, so new starter went in and all is good. I have had issues with starters in the past but I never had one blow fuses and refuse to turn over. Hope this helps some one else in the future.
Old April 25th, 2023, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default Blown 40a ignA 03 suburban

Another thread had mentioned the starter solenoid shorting out and blowing that fuse. Unplug the starter. Try a new fuse. Put the key front. If it don't blow then change the starter. Worked right away for me. Guess we'll see how long it lasts now..... :]

Edit:When i initially had the problem i had started the truck and accidentally turned key off right as the engine was turning over. When I tried to start again I got nothing due to blown ignA fuse 40a. My fault I assume so again we'll see if she lasts

Last edited by Zachinthebox; April 25th, 2023 at 6:08 PM.
Old May 1st, 2023, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Zachinthebox
Another thread had mentioned the starter solenoid shorting out and blowing that fuse. Unplug the starter. Try a new fuse. Put the key front. If it don't blow then change the starter. Worked right away for me. Guess we'll see how long it lasts now..... :]

Edit:When i initially had the problem i had started the truck and accidentally turned key off right as the engine was turning over. When I tried to start again I got nothing due to blown ignA fuse 40a. My fault I assume so again we'll see if she lasts

Edit2:I used a re-manufactured starter which worked for a couple days then same issue. So I swapped for a brand new starter. And I also changed the starter relay. Worked fine. 1 day. Then same thing. Blowing 40amp ignA fuse.