Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

4x4 wont engage and stay locked up any help

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2013, 2:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 wont engage and stay locked up any help

okay so i went to the beach and went to go into 4 wheel drive, the light for 4x4 switch would light up BUT ONLY BLINK TO 4lo or 4hi and if i repushed 2wd it engage and hold and go back fine, now you can hear the 4x4 switch cuz you hear it go Choo into 4 wheel low then Choo into 4 wheel high, but wont stop blinking and wont engage fully into 4wheel drive, can anyone help me my vehicle is a 99 chevy tahoe 5.7 LT

Last edited by Newto4x4; July 1st, 2013 at 3:00 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 7:37 AM
CF Junior Member

so after doing alot of research and not getting any reply hoping someone ran into this problem also, i have found alot of 1999 chevy tahoe 4x4 front actuators from 60 bucks to 120 bucks, now i dont know if theres two actuators, but can anyone point me in the right direction on where to look? is there two actuators or another one on the t-case? just looking for some reliable info here

Last edited by Newto4x4; July 2nd, 2013 at 8:02 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 3:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my expedition used to do the opposite. it would go into 4 but wouldnt go back to 2. i think it was the transfer case sticking but not positive
Old July 3rd, 2013, 6:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slow/reluctant transfers occur frequently, mainly because of old Fluid, and shellac in the Case making the transfer (at least) sluggish from infrequent use.

Here's a procedure you can try to get it to change...

Place Transmission in 4WD-Hi.
Accelerate Vehicle to just over 5 MPH.
Shift to Neutral Gear while moving.
As forward motion drops just below 5 MPH, Press 4WD-Lo button.
Transfer to Lo should take place within 10-20 seconds.

In some instances, it may be necessary to use the "rolling" procedure to initially transfer into 4WD-Hi
You many hear a respectable "clunk" upon transfer. (that's normal Chevy )
This procedure may be used to transfer from Hi to Lo, or, Lo to Hi.
You may have to try this several times, to get a really sluggish Case to transfer.
This procedure should be done on Pavement or Hard Dirt, to allow the Vehicle to roll for a sufficient length of time to shift.

Fluid Changes for the Transfer Case should be every 25K miles for severe use, and every 50K miles for normal use.
Exercising the 4WD-Lo function, should be performed at least once per Month, and driven at least 1 mile in 4WD-Lo to allow Lubrication to circulate.
Use AutoTrak II (or equivalent) for Fluid Changes (about 2 qts)
IF there are instances where the Case will not transfer, it is recommended that a Fluid Change be tried before major repair is initiated. Frequently this is all that is needed to re-establish usage.

Last edited by SWHouston; July 3rd, 2013 at 7:30 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 9:18 PM
CF Junior Member

so yesterday i wiped down my axel housing, or differential whatever you wanna call it, and i cleaned around the 4x4 actuator in the housing and played with the clip and today the 4x4 works went right into 4lo and 4hi and 2wd perfectly, i was happy, maybe it need some connection love lol but i know im gonna get back under there clean it alil better and put reclean the connector this weekend when i can put the car up
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:51 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

glad to hear it was easy and cheap fix
Old November 3rd, 2022, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

I just swapped out my transmission and all seems okay except when I swapped the transmission I'm almost sure it was in 4wd before I dropped it and put the new tyranny in and now it won't come out of 4 by 4. I've been through at least 11 transmissions and I don't know what to do