Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'83 Suburban barn doors won't open

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2012, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '83 Suburban barn doors won't open

Hi all --

I just bought an '83 Suburban, and the barn doors won't open. Pushing the button does nothing.

Because the doors are closed, I can't get the interior panels all the way off. Through one access hole, I can see the mechanism; there's a flat plate that tips fore and aft, with rods going to (I assume) the upper and lower latches. The rod to the lower is detached, but I don't know if this is the cause or a result of my problem.

I can slide the plate up and down and rotate it on its axis, but not enough to get the door latches to open -- don't know if that's because it's jammed or my dainty little fingers just aren't strong enough.

I can see a bit of the latch at the top of the door, the lower one is difficult to get to.

Any trick to opening the doors without a working handle? I'm hoping that if I can get them open, I can get better access to the mechanism to change or fix it.

TIA
Aaron
Old March 5th, 2012, 8:23 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Might check w/ a body shop.
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pull the panel on the back doors and check the button with the cable and the rod see if they fell off. i think it would be the bushing that broke and the rod fell off. there like 9 phillips screws on the panel with the door that has the button on the outside.