Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

87 suburban stalled and won't start HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2006, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 suburban stalled and won't start HELP!!

My 87 suburban stalled the other night and won't start again, I don't have any spark so i changed the Ignition coil. It still does'nt start. Any help woud be much appreciated.
Old November 25th, 2006, 5:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 87 suburban stalled and won't start HELP!!

87 burb, my specialty. I went through alot with my old 87. Now that you have changed the coil do you have spark or not? Regardless pull your air cleaner off and have someone turn the motor over while looking at your Throttle body injectors. They should be squirting as the motor turns over. If you have no squirt and no sprak it is most likely your ignition control module. Either your connections are bad or the module itself has died. It's somewhat common. The ignition control module can be found under your distributor cap, check it out and let us now. also check out this guy's post, he had a 93 with similar issues...

https://chevroletforum.com/m_13174/tm.htm

good luck..
Old November 25th, 2006, 7:39 PM
CF Junior Member

I agree 100%. They go out like a light bulb, fine one minit, burn out the next with no warning.
Old November 26th, 2006, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Changed out the ignition control module this morning. Still nothing. Suburban 1 me 0. I am taking the lazy route and getting it towed to a shop tommorow. I just don't have the time to mess with it. Thanks for all the help though.

sam klevans
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:21 AM
CF Junior Member

PLease let us know what fixed the problem then, I could not begin to fathom what's wrong without peaking my own head in now...
Old November 27th, 2006, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Alright heres the newest. After a goods night sleep and some relief from the frustration. I decided I'm not givin in yet. I went down and talked to the guys at the shop down the road. They told me that with the stuff that i replaced there was know way it didn't have spark. He told me to get a can of ether and try starting it that way. I did and sure if enough it fired although briefly and then died. Twice more with the same result. So now i guess it's a fuel problem. Any ideas? I don't think that it's the pump because I can here it running when i turn the key. Relay maybe? Anything that anyone knows that could help me out would be greatly appreciated. I am going to look into some other stuff tonight, and change the fuel filter tommorow. I would only be so lucky if that was the problem.

Sam Klevans
Old November 28th, 2006, 3:47 PM
CF Junior Member

If you pulled your air cleaner and turned the truck over do the injectors fire? If not, fuel problem. almost can't be a relay if you can hear your pump running. double check your cennections from the ignition control module, that sends a signal to your pcm to fire the injectors as well.