Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

89 suburban v1500 alternator pro lems

Old August 18th, 2014, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 suburban v1500 alternator pro lems

Sorry I'm brand new to the whole forum thing but I need help. I have an 89 suburban v1500 and it has started to bog down and loose all power while driving down the road. It only last for a second or two and then runs fine. I have changed the icm, plugs, wires, starter, fuel pump and filter. I just bought this and the lady had it sitting for about 1.5 yrs before I bought it and got it running again. I noticed today that 2 of the 3 wires coming out of the plug on the alternator have been cut and taped off but can't seem to find anywhere they may go
Old August 30th, 2014, 1:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hey gravedigger,

I'm new to these forums and experiencing an alternator problem as well. However, what I found out over the past few days may at least help you if not myself anyways.

Alternators ground themselves via the bolts that hold it in place. The positive wire either goes to a positive fuse block OR to the starter (which goes directly to the battery anyways).

The harness you see has 4 ports in more every scenario but not all 4 get used. In example mine has 4 ports but the harness itself only has 1 receptor which is the second from the top titled "L".

I found out through diagrams that the wires go to different accessories and 1 to a light on your dash which illuminates the check engine or an alternator specific light if you have one.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your main concern is the power drop which can, as I've discovered, can be a result from SO MANY things. Check the belt for slipping, check the alternator for constant output with a multimeter, check the fuse panel for anything blown which can signal something pulling too much energy.

GOOD LUCK