Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

95 suburban grinding from transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2009, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 suburban grinding from transfer case?

Recently the truck will grind when taking off from a stop. This only happens in 2-hi and when in 4-hi no noise is heard. Sounds like the grinding is from the transfer case area. The truck has the floor shifter. Does anybody have knowledge of possible electric failure or likely a mechanical defect?

Last edited by bossman78; January 26th, 2009 at 6:25 PM.
Old January 28th, 2009, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Hello,

There is a lockring the breaks right in the little tailhousing on the back. This lockring holds the main shaft in place, when it breaks the shaft will move with motion. All the gears and synchros are on the main shaft and lets the gear it the slider ring and grind. They make a fix for it so it will never do it again. If you are interested in checking or fixing it, let me know and I can tell you how step by step.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:08 PM
CF Beginner

This sounds similar to the problem I've had in the last 2 days. I have a 1995 1500 Suburban 4WD. When taking off from a stop it will grind, but not everytime. (Haven't tried in 4WD yet)

It sounds like something is trying to catch, so I let off the gas for a moment and then back on until the grinding goes away and it seems engaged. Once I get going, the grinding stops but the ride feels a little rough, again not all the time.

Could this be a transfer case problem? How would I know and how much might something like this cost to get fixed?
Old February 5th, 2009, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

It sounds like you may have the same problem. If it hasn't worn the teeth off the slider ring from grinding, you don't even have to pull the transfer case out. You can pop the little tail housing off and fix it in the truck. That's the cheap fix. I f you have to pull the transfer case off and replace some parts, it could run anywhere from 800 to 1200 with labor and parts.
Old March 18th, 2009, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

TransGuy37,
I've got the same problem on my 95' Tahoe with the manual shift 4wd. I'd really like your step by step instructions for checking and fixing the TC in the truck. It grinds in 2hi at times but never in 4hi. I kind of assumed it was some type of clip holding a pin in but it just started and I haven't had time to look into it yet. Hopefully I can fix it before it causes other problems.
Thanks,
Eric
Old June 2nd, 2009, 4:38 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info - found this problem in my Suburban.

Found a couple of solutions for replacing the lock ring. It has come out more than once on my truck, so the ring groove is weak and won't support the ring as well any more.

The first (and my preferred solution) is a Sonnax part -100420-02K. A bit costly ~$30. It is available at most transmission parts rebuild stores.

The second solution (I don't like rotating screws) is

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...ase_saver.html

This gives some a couple of solutions to pick from for this problem.

Thanks for the posts.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

How do you get jpegs attached - it is not on a URL. I have a good schematic of the NP243C to post
Old June 2nd, 2009, 8:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73SS
How do you get jpegs attached - it is not on a URL. I have a good schematic of the NP243C to post

Put the picture on a photo server like www.photobucket.com (free) and post the URL to it here? I haven't checked the forum rules or if we have a dedicated photo/file share place, but the above should work universally. It's just an URL then.
Old September 26th, 2009, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

in the transfer case is a chain, it does get stretched differently when going forward and in reverse. the noise you hear is the chain slapping around in the transfer case. You will need to remove front drive shaft and rear drive shaft in order to take out trans case. The noise sounds like a rattling pipe rolling across the floor. to rebuild is easy. if you get a used case, you do not know the issues that may come with it from previous owner, like if you bought it from a junk yard. Get it with a warranty or rebuild it. holla at the duck
Old March 18th, 2010, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by transguy37
Hello,

There is a lockring the breaks right in the little tailhousing on the back. This lockring holds the main shaft in place, when it breaks the shaft will move with motion. All the gears and synchros are on the main shaft and lets the gear it the slider ring and grind. They make a fix for it so it will never do it again. If you are interested in checking or fixing it, let me know and I can tell you how step by step.

I need the instructions...PLEEEEAAAASSSEEE!

I am in dire need of a fix for this quick.

Quick Reply: 95 suburban grinding from transfer case?