Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

95 Tahoe Problem - Coolant Pouring Out/Overheating

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2010, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 95 Tahoe Problem - Coolant Pouring Out/Overheating

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums and had a question that I've been searching for and haven't been able to find an answer to. I was hoping someone here would be able to help me out. Here goes:

Bought a 95 Tahoe for real cheap, it had some problems, so I'm fixing it up. One problem was a seized AC Compressor. My buddy and I took it out and replaced it with a bypass dummy pulley that would at least let a serpentine belt go around it. No AC, but at least it's running now. However, there is a problem with the engine overheating. Everytime the car is run, coolant pours out from a port down to the left of the motor. It's definitely coolant, and everytime it begins to overheat, I add water to the radiator and it cools back down. Then, I drive it around for a few minutes and it begins heating up again and the radiator is drained.

There are a few problems:
1. Overheating
2. Overflow for coolant doesn't fill the radiator back up

I was wondering:
1. If the ac compressor removal had anything to do with this. I was told my numerous people that it didn't, and "no coolant for the engine is run through the ac system". Is it possible that disconnecting the compressor removed a line where coolant went to the radiator? Maybe a line very close to it that seemed like ac related, but wasn't, and my buddy or I accidentally removed it?
2. Can I just plug this port where it's coming out of or do I need the coolant to be cycling through a system? I'm not sure where the coolant is coming from in the port.

It seems like the only loose line in my engine bay is where refrigerant went to the compressor. There are two tips on it and here is a picture:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3...1008031401.jpg

It doesn't seem to do with coolant because there is a high pressure port on one side of it, but part of it does go to the front of the car....
Not sure if there needs to be a hose run from the place where it's pouring out to one of these lines. It seems like these lines were only from the ac compressor and just carried refrigerant, but I may be wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by Eric3; August 4th, 2010 at 7:45 AM.
Old August 4th, 2010, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Also, just wanted to add that the port where the coolant is coming out of is about 1/2"-5/8" in diameter, so it's not the 2"-3" or so hose that is used to feed the high and low of the radiator. I'll try and take a picture soon, but I won't have access to my Tahoe for a little.
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

I believe the problem has been fixed now. Seems like the hose from the water pump to the heater core was pulled out and not replaced. I'm just going to put a hose from the pump to the port and be able to run heat now. If I decided to plug up both ends, would there be a problem? I understand I wouldn't be able to get heat, but this would stop my overheating problem, right?
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

If you ever plan on using the A/C again, I'd recommend sealing the ports that went to the compressor to keep foreign mat'l out.

You can connect the heater hose output on the pump to the return port and bypass the heater core.
Old August 6th, 2010, 7:03 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

If you ever plan on using the A/C again, I'd recommend sealing the ports that went to the compressor to keep foreign mat'l out.

You can connect the heater hose output on the pump to the return port and bypass the heater core.
How exactly do I go about doing this?
Old August 6th, 2010, 9:22 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Make a plate that covers both holes and clamp it on w/ a small C-clamp. Or duct tape.