Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

95 Tahoe won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2007, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Tahoe won't stay running

I have a 95 Tahoe, 5.7 L 4 door LS. It recently started dieing off when at low rpms such as stop lights, etc. but it wouldn't do it all the time. Then it also started cutting out on the highway, but must have had enough rpms to get going again. Very recently, it died on me completely as I was slowing into a little rural town. I had it towed to a shop, where we replaced the module near the distributor cap, and that seemed to fix it, I thought. However on my way home on the interstate it did the same thing. I have since replaced the ignition coil, cap and rotor, plugs and wires. We checked the fuel pump and filter at the shop the first time and they were fine. This model also had an alarm system that I had disabled because it was acting funny (you couldn't start the car unless you hit the unlock button on the remote, even if the doors were not locked before.)

Anyone have an idea what this could be. Since replacing all of this, it now runs for about 8 seconds, and dies off. It starts right back up again, and does the same thing. And then it just won't start at all. But if it sets all night again, it will start up, and do the same thing.

Any help would be a lifesaver! Thanks.
Old August 9th, 2007, 8:49 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 95 Tahoe won't stay running

Are any red, orange or yellow tell-tale lights illuminating on the instrument panel after the initial bulb check sequence?
Old August 9th, 2007, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

No, there is no check engine light.
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:26 AM
CF Addict

I'm not looking for a check engine light, it sounds as though the anti-theft system is activating and I am just wondering if that is the case.

When you say that you disabled the alarm are you referring to the OEM anti-theft system?
What exactly was done to disable this?

I am concerned that this may be related to the problem that you are having.
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

It was not a factory alarm, but rather was a GM alarm, I believe was probably added as an option upon purchase of the vehicle. I bought this vehicle about 4 months ago.

I took it to a shop that installs car alarms and starters and had him disable it. The alarm had a little red light that was on the left side of the steering wheel, in the wood panel of the dash. It used to blink fast when it was going haywire, and now it has been disabled.

The vehicle ran for a month or more after that, but would still cut out from time to time.
Old August 9th, 2007, 7:00 PM
CF Addict

Ok got you, check for a faulty EGR valve then or could be bad O2 sensor.
Old August 9th, 2007, 8:10 PM
e
CF Senior Member

Could it possibily be a dirty, gummed up, or bad Mass Airflow Sensor?
Old August 10th, 2007, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

I'll check those out and let the forum know what the results are. I appreciate the help on this.
Old August 15th, 2007, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Well, after all was said and done it turns out it was a bad alternator. It was not charging to full capacity, and under a load was not responding at all. Since replacing this, it runs just fine. I have never heard of a bad alternator letting you drive 300 plus miles with air conditioner running, lights, etc. And after it died, it would still turn over without a problem, so obviously the battery was not drained. I would be interested to hear anyone's comments on this. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old August 15th, 2007, 7:28 PM
CF Addict

I have heard of this but it is very (make that extremely) rare.

Quick Reply: 95 Tahoe won't stay running