Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

96 suburban blower motor resistor - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2012, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 suburban blower motor resistor - HELP!

I am trying to replace a blower motor resistor on my 96 Suburban K-1500 4WD Automatic 5.8L V8.

I have already replaced the blower motor which was pretty easy with only taking out the glove compartment.

The Resistor is another deal and that is what i need help with. I found the resistor behind the glove box and a relay....however it has screws that hold it in from the top and very little clearance!

Is their a special tool that i can buy that helps me take it out or do i have to take the entire dashboard out??

If no tool is available can anyone help me with some instructions on how to do it? I took a ton of screws out across the top of the defroster...and another batch along the bottom of the dash....disconnected a bunch of switches and vent connectors and still seems to be hanging on something.

I will attach a picture of the resistor below and thanks in advance!!!
Attached Thumbnails 96 suburban blower motor resistor - HELP!-suburban_resistor.jpg  
Old March 16th, 2012, 6:54 AM
CF Senior Member

Maybe a ratcheting box end wrench Amazon.com: Crescent FRR7 7 Piece 5/16-Inch to 3/4-Inch 72 Tooth Reversible Ratcheting Combination Wrench Set: Home Improvement

if you unplug the connector first it might give you more to get it out
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply! I think i am gonna try that suggestion. I think this is gonna be metric maybe 5.5mm or 6mm i am guessing. Their is like almost no room at all in there and i have fat short fingers!
Old March 16th, 2012, 5:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

7mm and use a ratchet 1/4" or even a wratcheting wrench. and when u reinstall it only put in 1 screw to make it easier.
Old March 16th, 2012, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks RacerX! I got the resistor in and i managed to get both screws in but it made me make up a few new cuss words! They should drag that designer that designed this blower motor resistor layout from his air conditioned room and make him change one...maybe then he would put it in another location!!

Anyway, i replaced blower motor and blower motor resistor and i turned on the ac and the blower came on for about 6 seconds and then went off! I then turned off the ignition switch....re-started the car and the blower came on again for a few seconds and then went back off!!!

I am thinking it has to either be the blower motor high relay or the AC/Heater control switch. I am leaning towards it being the relay but i am not sure...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old March 17th, 2012, 6:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the high relay is in the resistor block. The resistor block actually steps down the voltage in all speeds except high where it gives the blower battery voltage. Disconnect the battery and try it again. The AC/heater control is in the climate control module

Was this blower motor new?