Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

96 suburban electrical problem

Old November 5th, 2011, 3:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 suburban electrical problem

Hello. 2 months ago i got a 96 suburban K1500 4x4 LT with 133,000 miles on it. it ran great for 1 1/2 months but then electrical problems.

the problem: the volt gauge intermittently fluctuates between approx 10 - 15 volts. sometimes its fast, goes down then right back up. sometimes when it goes down it stays low and fluctuates rapidly while down around the 10.

New parts since problem started: remanufactured alt, new (non remanufactured) alt, battery, belt, belt tensioner, alt to battery wire, starter to battery wire, downstream driver side O2 sensor (code PO141).

checks since problem started: removed, checked and cleaned all grounds (frame, body and block).
running got 14.5 volts
not running 12.6 volts
there was 2 wires at the battery that wasnt hooked up so i traced them down and found an alpine security system way up under the dash that i wasnt aware of so i removed all fuses (5) at the 2 security boxes.

before the problem started a buddy pressure washed my engine. he said he cleans his engine a couple times a year and never had a problem so i let him do it. also check engine light came on and got the sensor heater circuit code (PO141). I dont remember which one of these happened first.

i know very little about auto repair so the first alternator was my doing and the rest of what ive done is what i was told to check or replace. i always thought if your lights flicker when turning on a load, this case the heater, that automatically meant alternator was going bad. well, the lights flickered so without talking to anyone i replaced the alt with a reman from oriellys.

i would really appriciate any suggestions to help me fix this problem. i dont take it to a mechanic because i cant afford it AND im enjoying learning how to work on this. THANK YOU
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

First, pressure washing today's engine compartment is not a good idea as you have just found out. Put a voltmeter on the battery and see if the voltage flucuates there like it does on the dash voltmeter. If it doesn't, then your problem is probably a connection to the voltmeter.
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you shut off the truck does it start back up? Mine has had the same problem recently, I have put on a new alt battery and starter, also new battery connectors truck runs good when started but I do notice the gauge reads it's putting out low on the voltmeter. When I turn the truck off its like the battery is instantly dead but if I take off the ground wire and wait a bit then reconnect the wire the truck will start, yet hesitant. I'm stumped as to what is going on with it so if it's the same problem and you have resolved it or if anyone has resolved a similar problem I'd appreciate some advice thanks