Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'97 Suburban C2500 Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2017, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Suburban C2500 Electrical Issue

I own a 1997 Chevy Suburban C2500 with 7.4L V8. I went to Advance Auto Parts after my truck died on the side of the interstate. I found that the battery had 24 cold cranking amps and I replaced the battery with a rand new one. While I was there I had the alternator and starter tested and both were fine and had no issues. I started the truck the morning to let it warm up. I left all the blower off. I have tow emergency lights connected to the cigarette plugs. I was driving my boys to school this morning when the truck died on me and had no voltage. All of the connection are tight on the battery and I've been noticing that the voltage has been around 11 volts. I purchased the Suburban to tow my pop up. It has a 140 amp alternator in it and I purchased the Gold series battery from Advance Auto that has 850 cc amps. What do I do and where do I start? Should I replace the alternator? Even though the alternator passed the test.

Thanks for your assistance.
Old March 28th, 2017, 9:38 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I'd take it back to Advance Auto and see if they can shed some lite on the problem. If you are only seeing 11 Volts at the battery, I'd suspect the alternator or some bad connections some place.
Old March 29th, 2017, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took it back to advance auto and they said it's fine. I've found that if I'm idling (city traffic) the alternator will not charge the system. But when I go to work on and travel 25 miles at 75 MPH they alternator charges the system. I definitely feel it is the alternator and I'm going to replace it.
Old March 29th, 2017, 8:09 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

When they tested it, what voltage was the alternator putting out? Also is the belt tight?