Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

97 suburban performance chip with MPG boost?

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

A good tune up with quality parts, regularly.
Properly inflated tires.
Good driving habits, coasting, using cruise control, not maintaining speed up a hill.
Removal all non essential weight from the vehicle
Use of a quality fuel additive every few months to keep injectors clean....

There may be a few items out there that do improve mpg, but what you will spend for them you could use that to buy gas and be better off,
essentially the payoff could take years..
Old March 13th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Dpk2313
I really dont want to get into this, I just want better gas mileage for my bus.
Did you check out Blackbear?

But like in2pro said, the payback may be years unless you drive a ton of miles annually.
Old March 14th, 2011, 12:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 12,000 miles a year the difference between 16mpg & 17 mpg at $4/gal. is only $180/year (not even enough to buy an extra gallon per week), and I'm willing to bet that most performance upgrades that benefit mileage will decrease in their benefit over time like your motor, not to mention that you're trying to make an engine do things it wasn't designed for which will most likely take life from it. You're probably better off just following in2pro's advice, spend your money on maint. which also equals longevity... but to add to his list...

-performance exhaust
-NON-ethanol gasoline IF you can find it, anymore you pretty much have to be in a rural area to get it, my '99 ran much better on it though, I hate this 10% ethanol junk.
-use quality tires and keep them at max recommended pressure, not the squishy psi the car manufacturers recommend, that's just for ride quality snobs, if you buy good shocks you won't know the difference.
-keep the exterior clean
-the best fuel additives I've used are Lucas & the stuff from Amway (not sure if they still have it). I actually tested it through several tanks to about 1mpg better in my '99 with it, but that was when I was using non-ethanol gas too, not sure if it has the same effect with the ethanol gas most of us have now.
Old March 16th, 2011, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
In case you haven't noticed the current gov't hates oil. They essentially shut down the Gulf and extended bans on Atlantic & Pacific coasts. They even defied a Federal judge's orders to start permitting again.

At last check, the price per bbl was $109. Ref here. When Barry was sworn in, it was $41/bbl. Ref here.

And the oil companies still have the 100 mpg carb locked up.
Agree with you. I like getting into this. The Liberal mindset is to drive up costs of fossil fuel, take away drilling, so we can all putt putt around in crappy electric cars which no one wants. Oil company = EVIL. Environmentalist group= GOOD.

Lets go drill now!! North Dakota and Montana now have more oil than Saudi Arabia.
and in Alaska, the animals huddle around the pipes to keep warm. More drilling, or the hint we can do more, the statement alone will begin to drop the gas prices.
Old March 16th, 2011, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

I agree with you on the fuel additive products from Amway and Lucas. I used to regularly get the AMWAY stuff...but they had quit making it. I heard Harley Davidson had the same stuff. I got 2mpg more in my 97 Concorde but this was 4-5 years ago. It was the best stuff. 2nd best is that Lucas gasoline additive...Almost as good for gas mileage enhancement.
Old March 17th, 2011, 2:17 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ssent
-keep the exterior clean
I agree to this helps, its one of those long term payoffs but every little bit of drag counts... adding a bunch of wind/bug deflectors can be counter productive for fuel....somewhere in this forum the drag coefficient is listed for the gmt900 and its pretty decent, the front end for the Hybrid Tahoe is also something to consider as it also helps lower drag and help improve mpg....
Old March 18th, 2011, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Did you check out Blackbear?

But like in2pro said, the payback may be years unless you drive a ton of miles annually.
I put around double average mileage about 24k give or take, I looked on blackbear but I cant seem to find what your'e talking about can you send me or post a direct link?
Old March 18th, 2011, 8:42 PM
Administrator

I put around double average mileage about 24k give or take, I looked on blackbear but I cant seem to find what you're talking about can you send me or post a direct link?
Here's one: Black Bear Performance :: Custom Tuning Solutions for 96 and newer GM Vehicles

Another: Black Bear Performance :: Custom Tuning Solutions for 96 and newer GM Vehicles

And FAQ: Black Bear Performance :: Custom Tuning Solutions for 96 and newer GM Vehicles
Old March 18th, 2011, 8:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by in2pro
I agree to this helps, its one of those long term payoffs but every little bit of drag counts... adding a bunch of wind/bug deflectors can be counter productive for fuel....somewhere in this forum the drag coefficient is listed for the gmt900 and its pretty decent, the front end for the Hybrid Tahoe is also something to consider as it also helps lower drag and help improve mpg....

The 2007 numbers are: LTZ = .36, Z71 = .38, Hybrid = .34, Corvette = .29. So these 3 ton bricks aren't too bad.
Old March 20th, 2011, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

I put around double average mileage about 24k give or take, I looked on blackbear but I cant seem to find what your'e talking about can you send me or post a direct link?
Looks like there is no option for a '97, I had to get a new computer for my '99 and if I remember right there were some computers that were used for '98 and '99 and some that were used for '99 and '00, so the '97 must be different, I would just contact them to be sure though.