Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Suburban Evap Cannister Location

Old February 6th, 2013, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Suburban Evap Cannister Location

Where is the charcoal evap cannister located on a 99 Suburban with 5.7 Liter engine? Also, how do you check it to determine if it is good? Having fuel smell inside and outside of vehicle after fueling up. TIA!
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The canister is more of a box looking item, its probably close to the fuel tank and mounted to the frame... it may or may not be bad...if you are smelling fuel it could be because one of the EVAP lines is cracked or broken... you should be getting some kind of error codes for the EVAP system....
I would check all lines and hoses for cracks and splits first... also always always stop filling up at the first shut off... topping off the tank after the nozzle has stopped can allow fuel to backup into the EVAP system and cause lots of grief and the smell of fuel...

attached PDF of system
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1999 burb evap.pdf (297.1 KB, 1341 views)

Last edited by in2pro; February 6th, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old February 6th, 2013, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
The canister is more of a box looking item, its probably close to the fuel tank and mounted to the frame... it may or may not be bad...if you are smelling fuel it could be because one of the EVAP lines is cracked or broken... you should be getting some kind of error codes for the EVAP system....
I would check all lines and hoses for cracks and splits first... also always always stop filling up at the first shut off... topping off the tank after the nozzle has stopped can allow fuel to backup into the EVAP system and cause lots of grief and the smell of fuel...

attached PDF of system
Thanks for posting, this is great information!

I do not smell gas any longer, but I did get a P0442 code. Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak). I purchased a new gas cap so we'll see if this will keep the code from coming back (I had the CEL turned off when I read the code). I also located the Evap Canister. It is in the engine bay in front of the radiator on the drivers side.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps03e5f504.jpg

The only hose that is rubber on the Evap canister can be seen in the above picture. All of the other lines coming off the canister appear to be metal. So, if the gas cap doesn't fix the leak, I will replace this hose. BUT, are there other rubber hoses that need to be checked and where are they located?

Also, I noticed on the Evap Vent Valve, something appears to be missing. See pic below.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps4e590923.jpg
Anyone know what is missing here?

Last edited by domano 68; February 6th, 2013 at 7:07 PM.
Old February 7th, 2013, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by domano 68
Thanks for posting, this is great information!

I do not smell gas any longer, but I did get a P0442 code. Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak). I purchased a new gas cap so we'll see if this will keep the code from coming back (I had the CEL turned off when I read the code). I also located the Evap Canister. It is in the engine bay in front of the radiator on the drivers side.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps03e5f504.jpg

The only hose that is rubber on the Evap canister can be seen in the above picture. All of the other lines coming off the canister appear to be metal. So, if the gas cap doesn't fix the leak, I will replace this hose. BUT, are there other rubber hoses that need to be checked and where are they located?

Also, I noticed on the Evap Vent Valve, something appears to be missing. See pic below.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps4e590923.jpg
Anyone know what is missing here?
Well, got the code on the way home. Guess the old gas cap was good. I will replace the J-hose that goes from the canister to the evap valve (evap valve is mounted on the side of the canister). If this doesn't do the trick, I am out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions? TIA!!!

Last edited by domano 68; February 7th, 2013 at 7:13 PM.