Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Tahoe backfire/multiple misfire/stumble on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2011, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Tahoe backfire/multiple misfire/stumble on acceleration

I just had a full exhaust put on my '99 Tahoe (headers, Cats, muffler, and tips). Prior to getting this done, my CEL was on and kept spitting a #6 misfire code. While getting all this work done to the exhaust, I had a new cap and rotor button installed. While replacing the rotor, the distributor had to be pulled in order to remove one of the screws that hold the rotor on due to it shearing off.

After getting my truck back, it started backfiring, and stumbling on acceleration up to about 40 mph. I had the codes re-read and still was getting a #6 misfire. I then replaced the #6 sparkplug and checked all my wires. Drove it and the CEL came back on. I then had the codes read again and now its a multiple cylinder misfire code. I was told to run some injector cleaner through my engine which is what I am still in the process of doing. It seems that the little bit of cleaner that has gone through is helping a little bit but I am not sure because it still runs a bit rough.

I have no idea whatelse to do at this point.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old July 30th, 2011, 7:00 PM
CF Senior Member

on mine it was a stuck poppet i had good spark and good compression but the poppet style injector was stuck closed,if it's stuck closed the cleaner will never go thru it, i replaced the hole spider assy with the upgraded one,found it on amazon for about $215 it was worth every penny

Sean

97 4x4 burb
Old January 28th, 2012, 11:29 AM
CF Junior Member

you ever find out what was wrong with your truck ?
mine is doing the same thing and still trying to figure it out.

thanx.
Old January 30th, 2012, 5:34 AM
CF Beginner

My problem ended up being me needing a new cap and rotor. The mechanic who did my exhaust work noticed my truck was running rough so he tried to fix it and ended up making it worst. Needless to say, I haven't went back to that guy.
Old June 21st, 2018, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

My 99 Tahoe had the similar problem code came up timing was off had to take it to a shop and had the timing reset only way to get it reset is with a shop’s diagnostic machine
Old December 14th, 2021, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default Computer operated

Originally Posted by Tyrone
My 99 Tahoe had the similar problem code came up timing was off had to take it to a shop and had the timing reset only way to get it reset is with a shop’s diagnostic machine
computer ran keep that in mind you can have the distributer way off the computer compensates for it will learn at the start if hesitation and lean itself out that being said move your distributer until it runs right you can get a cheap scan tool that tells you how retarded or advanced the timing is.