Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

AC on 99 Tahoe blowing cool air!

Old April 17th, 2008, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC on 99 Tahoe blowing cool air!

My AC on my 99 Tahoe (dual air) is blowing cool, not hot and not cold. It only has 65,000 miles on it and about 20,000 miles ago the compressor and the rear hose were changed out by the dealer. I do not have any gages so could I go to the auto parts store and buy a can of freon, putit in and see if that helps? Is there a danger of overcharging it that way?
Old April 17th, 2008, 4:12 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: AC on 99 Tahoe blowing cool air!

If the dealer put dye in the system when they recharged it(which thy should have), take it to a shop and have them check with a black light for a leak. Sounds like the refrigerant has leaked out. If you insist on doing it yourself, there is a sticker under the hood that says how much R134a goes into the system. Add 1 can at a time untill you are satisfied, but do not overfill it too much.

Might also want to check to see if the compressor is kicking in and out, and if not check the 10amp a\c fuse under the hood, try switching the relay with another relay in the fuse box.
Old March 11th, 2009, 2:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My own '99 Tahoe

Originally Posted by shawnvw
If the dealer put dye in the system when they recharged it(which thy should have), take it to a shop and have them check with a black light for a leak. Sounds like the refrigerant has leaked out. If you insist on doing it yourself, there is a sticker under the hood that says how much R134a goes into the system. Add 1 can at a time untill you are satisfied, but do not overfill it too much.

Might also want to check to see if the compressor is kicking in and out, and if not check the 10amp a\c fuse under the hood, try switching the relay with another relay in the fuse box.
My A/C has become progressively 'warmer' over the past 2 summers. I turned it on a couple days ago and it just blew air at a neutral(?) temp...neither hot or cold. I'm guessing I need refrigerant in it. What do I buy and where do I add it to the system?

Thanks!

beckyA
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

It depends on what year and type of refrigerant your vehicle needs, R12 or R134a if the vehicle is less then 11-12 years old its probably 134a.
If if has leaked out it really needs to be serviced professionally, however 134a is not supposed to be as damaging as R12.
As Shawn suggested start with one can and go from there, the can and charger kits are sold at most auto stores and include instruction on how to identify the low side and where to add the freon.
Old March 11th, 2009, 9:30 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

If you decide to do it yourself, be very careful as freon can freeze skin. The label in the engine compartment should say which type of freon it takes. Might want to use one can w/ a leak detector in it.