Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Tahoe & Suburban
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 07:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default AC compressor comes on when turned off

I love my 99 Tahoe, it has been one of the most dependable vehicles I have ever owned. For the past few years, if you turn the fan switch off and leave the AC button pressed, the compressor will cycle on and off at will. This is manual air with rear air. The AC indicator lights goes off and on with the compressor. Depressing the AC button cuts the compressor off completely.

Any ideas? I'm real picky about my ride and want everything to work as it should.
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 11-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

Not familiar w/ 99s but not sure that when you turn the fan all the way down, it goes off. I think it probably just goes to the lowest speed in which case the compressor will cycle to keep the evaporator from freezing up. If you can turn the HVAC system off, the compressor shouldn't run then. But this all based on some logical assumptions. Others may be more familiar w/ your system.
2010 Sheer Silver Tahoe LTZ (all options but sunroof, power boards), GM (body color flaps, rear console, 3rd row mat, 2-Way Remote, chrome gas door, Esky rack), Eagle Eye LED tails, SLP dual tip exhaust, Silver bow-ties/rear wiper, Catch-All mats, AlphaTherm washer fluid heater, Putco chrome mirror covers, silver calipers, board chrome trim, tint, GMPP Major Guard

2007 Black Tahoe LTZ (Sold),
(GM flaps-$15, Lund Step Tubes-$80-For Sale)
Old 11-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Administrator
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe

Note sure if the 99's do it but my 07 will turn the AC on if the defrost is selected ...
Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Administrator

They've been doing that for a long time to keep the seals lubed. I think it quits around 35*.
2010 Sheer Silver Tahoe LTZ (all options but sunroof, power boards), GM (body color flaps, rear console, 3rd row mat, 2-Way Remote, chrome gas door, Esky rack), Eagle Eye LED tails, SLP dual tip exhaust, Silver bow-ties/rear wiper, Catch-All mats, AlphaTherm washer fluid heater, Putco chrome mirror covers, silver calipers, board chrome trim, tint, GMPP Major Guard

Old 11-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Administrator
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe

I just thought it was to help dry out the air going to the windshield...
Old 11-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Administrator

That too. Especially when it's cold out and you have a load of people.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 AM
CF Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Not familiar w/ 99s but not sure that when you turn the fan all the way down, it goes off. I think it probably just goes to the lowest speed in which case the compressor will cycle to keep the evaporator from freezing up. If you can turn the HVAC system off, the compressor shouldn't run then. But this all based on some logical assumptions. Others may be more familiar w/ your system.
On the 99's it is supposed to shut off vs lowest speed. There is no other way to shut the entire system down as on later systems, where the function control has an off position. This is when the fan is turned to off and nothing other than fresh air should be working. Does anyone know where I can get a wiring schematic for the AC controls?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 AM

Tags
99, ac, air, car, chevy, chrome, coming, compressor, conditioner, fans, stays, suburban, switch, tahoe, turned, turns