Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

AC Problems Repaired Still Problems

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2013, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Problems Repaired Still Problems

Hello everyone this is my first tech post. I am familiar with forums and a lot of times you get a response... did you do a search? Not saying you guys are the same but just wanted to let you know...So yes I performed a search to see if someone had posted something that fit my question. No luck... So here is my question...

2000 Tahoe with rear ac. I started having problems last year with the ac.. it just wasn't getting cool unless I was driving and drove continuously... if I stopped it would quit cooling. Took it to the shop... They said it was the compressor.... ok... replaced the compressor, picked the car up, still wasn't working right with rear air on. Took it back..

They replaced the dryer, and the rear orfice. Picked up the car, the ac worked good as long as I didn't turn on the rear air. Turned on the rear air and slowly but surely the front ac would gradually get warmer.

Took it back.. they said probably got a bad orfice in the rear air.. they replaced it. Picked the car up because we were leaving on vacation.. they told me there was still a problem with the rear air so leave the rear air off and things should be okay..

This was mid to late August.. They told me to bring it back next summer and they would check it out further....

Ok.. now it's next summer... still in warranty so I took it back today 7/8/13.. They called and said the pressure is high so they think the restriction is in the rear condensor. They said it wouldn't hurt to replace both fron and rear.. Ok... it's 14 years old and I noticed a musty smell this morning when I turned on the front ac so it probably won't hurt to go ahead and replace both of them.

When I told them to go ahead and replace both of them I said soooo now since we've replaced everything this should be the last fix...right? They said well it should because we've almost got all new parts in it. I asked well what else is there? They said AC lines and evaporator...

Ok now since I've given you the entire history of this situation HERE'S MY QUESTION. I know ya'll are thinking.. FINALLY!!!

Can anything be wrong with the AC lines that could cause a restriction? What could get inside a closed system? I can see the evaporator possibly but probably not anything wrong with it since all the problems come from when the rear air is turned on.

Your thoughts????
Old July 8th, 2013, 8:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the evaporators are the in-cabin coils that cool the air. The condenser is in front of the radiator and removes the heat from the system. Who ever is working on this is not very knowledgeable. If the air has been serviced in the past someone could have screwed up and contaminated the system. Or, the compressor wore out and the shavings from the scroll have been pumped through the system.
Old July 8th, 2013, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Joe, Thanks for the response. I was the one that got the names of the parts wrong. It is the pieces that are inside under the dash (you call them "in-cabin" coils) that they are going to replace.

We have owned the car since it was new and this is the first AC work ever performed. Maybe pieces did come apart in the old compressor....

I was just wondering how much more could they replace??? I guess I should have carried it to the Chevy dealership but I like to give my business to the local individuals to promote their business.

Thanks again for your response.
Old July 8th, 2013, 9:29 PM
CF Senior Member

Things to fail:
Compressor
Condenser
2 Evaporator Coils
Refrigerant Lines
Expansion Orifice
Rear AC TXV
Accumulator/Filter/Dryer
Muffler
Gaskets for the connections
Inspection/Fill Ports
Radiator Fan Clutch not fully engaging
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info again. There's not too many things that they haven't either replaced or verified that it is in proper working order.

Compressor = replaced new
Condenser = replaced new
2 Evaporator Coils = replacing now
Refrigerant Lines = haven't done anything
Expansion Orifice = replaced new
Rear AC TXV = don't know what this is EDIT... Looked it up... replaced new
Accumulator/Filter/Dryer = replaced new
Muffler = don't know what this is (on the AC part)
Gaskets for the connections = don't know
Inspection/Fill Ports = replaced valves new
Radiator Fan Clutch not fully engaging = clutch engaging

So the possibilities are
Refrigerant lines
Muffler ????
Gaskets for connections (is that O rings ?

Last edited by GrayHeadedMule; July 8th, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old July 9th, 2013, 12:07 AM
CF Senior Member

Well, you said there was a small silver canister before the compressor. The only thing I could imagine is a muffler as the intake of any compressor (air or a/c) is very loud.

Wow, they have replaced quite a bit there. I like supporting local business as well, but if they are just throwing parts at it I would have gone to the dealer.
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah, now I know that I should have taken it to a dealer but I started almost a year ago and thought that what I had might be in warranty from the last trip. They are saying it's something else.

It's one of those in to deep situations to take it elsewhere. i'm afraid if I take it to a dealer they might say something like.... You have the wrong compressor on there. Then I'm out all the money from the local guy and extra money at the dealer.

Here is what I'm hoping.... the local guy will finish what he believes is wrong. If it's not correct then he will be the person that has to fix whatever he did wrong from the start... i hope!

Anyway I appreciate all of your help.