Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Added Factory XM radio

Old September 19th, 2013, 10:41 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Added Factory XM radio

Well after 7 years of owning my 2007 tahoe ( bought in September 2006 ) I added factory XM radio. I added Factory navigation to my Tahoe with the help of this forum back in early 2007. Over the years, I really wanted XM (RPO Code UK2) but never got around to adding it. I wanted to add it but not spend 200.00 or more. Plus, I might upgrade to the 2013 tahoe navigation one day. I was able to do it on the cheap ( under 60.00 ) with some parts and wires I had laying around. You can use both the GMLAN-R1 and the GMLAN-X1 aftermarket wiring harness to make up a wiring harness so you dont have to cut your factory harness but I just used the GMLAN-X1, added the pins to the other end to insert them into the second factory connector (X2 connector ,purple in my case) If you buy a used xm reciever, it is THEFTLOCKED and will have to be dealt with. The Dealer CAN NOT unlock these units with the TECH 2 from what i heard. You can either send it off to a service to get it unlocked for about 35.00 or you can cut the pins on a small chip or remove the chip all together to get it to work. the down side to removing this chip is that when the car is turned off then back on, the xm channel goes back to channel 1 but you have presets so to me it wasnt a big issue. I was just planing to desolderer and remove the chip but I was lucky that my XM receiver came unlocked when i bought it on EBAY. I also used a old magnetic mount XM antenna i had laying round and mounted to the back of my Tahoe just in case the magnet would effect the GPS antenna. After it was all connected, I turned on the tahoe and the xm tab appeared. I tuned to channel one to make sure i got sound and called XM to activate it. Got 6 months for 30.00

Now I have the OEM navigation (part 15940102) I was hoping I add a newer XM receiver (20938348 RPO Code UBS) and get XM traffic on it but the only thing that worked on it was the XM radio which is what i expected but I wanted to let people know so others wont get high expectations. But the xm radio part works great. I believe your nav unit has to be 2009 or newer for it to work

You can also use 20938347 (UK2) and it will work too. Those i believe those are the newest xm radio part numbers for the Tahoes, Silverados, Sierras trucks and fullsize suvs.

Some other part numbers to try, they use GMLAN and from what I can tell they were in GM Fullsize trucks and SUVs but no warranty on this info so please keep it in mind
17801150, 20940402 Complete Kit for Fullsize Trucks and SUVs
The next set are for cars, (Impalas, MonteCarlos, DTS, Aura) These part numbers are for GMLAN (not Class2 Data protocols) even though the newer cars use the GMLAN data protocol, I cant guaranty that it will work for the Full size trucks and SUVS. If you can get a XM receiver for next to nothing, it might be worth a shot.

As far as a antenna, you can order a factory antenna with the extention cable to reach the reciever or you can use a small aftermarket xm antenna like i did. I notice the full size xm home antenna plugged in fine but the little one i had was a tight fit but it did work. you can trim that mustard Farka connector on the box to fit it better or just twist back and forth till you work in the antenna. you can also get a adapter for 12.00. You just need to connect the Left, right audio channels and the positive, negetive and Low Speed GMLan wires. Seven wires total.

If you are going to try this in a different GM car, the XM Reciever pinouts are the same but the radio connectors are NOT. look at the correct radio wiring diagram for your car or truck, if you have a CAT button on your radio, you should be able to add factory XM and with the right wiring, no visit to the dealer should be needed. hope this helps some of you.
Attached Thumbnails Added Factory XM radio-img_0740.jpg   Added Factory XM radio-xm-gmlan.jpg   Added Factory XM radio-x2.jpg  
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:51 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are some more pics. And another tip. Make sure you extend the wires long enough to be able to place the xm receiver where you want it. I was going to put it in the factory location but since i made the wires too short, i just put it under the console..
Attached Thumbnails Added Factory XM radio-xmgm-lan.jpg   Added Factory XM radio-xm-ant-2.jpg   Added Factory XM radio-1-xm-ant.jpg  

Last edited by rruelas; September 19th, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old September 19th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

rruelas Excellent write up and very helpful tips!
Where you put the antenna is where I put it on the wife's minivan, if you slide it back just a hair the antenna allows the wire to be folded under and is virtually unexposed... it has stayed on through car washes, tree branch sweeps for several years...
Old February 6th, 2021, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confirming chip removal

Originally Posted by rruelas
Well after 7 years of owning my 2007 tahoe ( bought in September 2006 ) I added factory XM radio. I added Factory navigation to my Tahoe with the help of this forum back in early 2007. Over the years, I really wanted XM (RPO Code UK2) but never got around to adding it. I wanted to add it but not spend 200.00 or more. Plus, I might upgrade to the 2013 tahoe navigation one day. I was able to do it on the cheap ( under 60.00 ) with some parts and wires I had laying around. You can use both the GMLAN-R1 and the GMLAN-X1 aftermarket wiring harness to make up a wiring harness so you dont have to cut your factory harness but I just used the GMLAN-X1, added the pins to the other end to insert them into the second factory connector (X2 connector ,purple in my case) If you buy a used xm reciever, it is THEFTLOCKED and will have to be dealt with. The Dealer CAN NOT unlock these units with the TECH 2 from what i heard. You can either send it off to a service to get it unlocked for about 35.00 or you can cut the pins on a small chip or remove the chip all together to get it to work. the down side to removing this chip is that when the car is turned off then back on, the xm channel goes back to channel 1 but you have presets so to me it wasnt a big issue. I was just planing to desolderer and remove the chip but I was lucky that my XM receiver came unlocked when i bought it on EBAY. I also used a old magnetic mount XM antenna i had laying round and mounted to the back of my Tahoe just in case the magnet would effect the GPS antenna. After it was all connected, I turned on the tahoe and the xm tab appeared. I tuned to channel one to make sure i got sound and called XM to activate it. Got 6 months for 30.00

Now I have the OEM navigation (part 15940102) I was hoping I add a newer XM receiver (20938348 RPO Code UBS) and get XM traffic on it but the only thing that worked on it was the XM radio which is what i expected but I wanted to let people know so others wont get high expectations. But the xm radio part works great. I believe your nav unit has to be 2009 or newer for it to work

You can also use 20938347 (UK2) and it will work too. Those i believe those are the newest xm radio part numbers for the Tahoes, Silverados, Sierras trucks and fullsize suvs.

Some other part numbers to try, they use GMLAN and from what I can tell they were in GM Fullsize trucks and SUVs but no warranty on this info so please keep it in mind
17801150, 20940402 Complete Kit for Fullsize Trucks and SUVs
The next set are for cars, (Impalas, MonteCarlos, DTS, Aura) These part numbers are for GMLAN (not Class2 Data protocols) even though the newer cars use the GMLAN data protocol, I cant guaranty that it will work for the Full size trucks and SUVS. If you can get a XM receiver for next to nothing, it might be worth a shot.

As far as a antenna, you can order a factory antenna with the extention cable to reach the reciever or you can use a small aftermarket xm antenna like i did. I notice the full size xm home antenna plugged in fine but the little one i had was a tight fit but it did work. you can trim that mustard Farka connector on the box to fit it better or just twist back and forth till you work in the antenna. you can also get a adapter for 12.00. You just need to connect the Left, right audio channels and the positive, negetive and Low Speed GMLan wires. Seven wires total.

If you are going to try this in a different GM car, the XM Reciever pinouts are the same but the radio connectors are NOT. look at the correct radio wiring diagram for your car or truck, if you have a CAT button on your radio, you should be able to add factory XM and with the right wiring, no visit to the dealer should be needed. hope this helps some of you.

Is this the chip to remove?