Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can't get transmission fluid to the correct level

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2019, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't get transmission fluid to the correct level

I flush the transmission fluid and replaced the filter yesterday of our 2010 Tahoe LTZ with 6-speed tranny. I took out 12 quarts, filled it up to 11.5 quarts, drove it until warm, and checked it. It was below the cold hash marks. I put in 1/4 quart, checked, another 1/4 quart, and so forth until I had put in 2 quarts. It was at the top of the cold mark. It's not leaking any where. I wasn't sure if the dip stick tube may have separated when I raised the transmission to remove the pan, but it's solidly seated. I noticed the dip stick bottoms out when there is 1/2" left of inserting the stick into the tube. I don't recall if this was the way it was before the flush.

Here is some more info. I couldn't get the pan inserted by myself as I had to pry the exhaust while my teenage daughter tried to insert the pan. It was quite an ordeal, but I couldn't watch what she was doing from where I was prying from. Is there any way the filter or something may have moved, and the dip stick is hitting the filter?

Not having two cars tomorrow will put us in a bind, but I don't know what else to look at. Any suggestions of how to get the transmission fluid reading correctly would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old October 29th, 2019, 3:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by baskervi1
I flush the transmission fluid and replaced the filter yesterday of our 2010 Tahoe LTZ with 6-speed tranny. I took out 12 quarts, filled it up to 11.5 quarts, drove it until warm, and checked it. It was below the cold hash marks. I put in 1/4 quart, checked, another 1/4 quart, and so forth until I had put in 2 quarts. It was at the top of the cold mark. It's not leaking any where. I wasn't sure if the dip stick tube may have separated when I raised the transmission to remove the pan, but it's solidly seated. I noticed the dip stick bottoms out when there is 1/2" left of inserting the stick into the tube. I don't recall if this was the way it was before the flush.

Here is some more info. I couldn't get the pan inserted by myself as I had to pry the exhaust while my teenage daughter tried to insert the pan. It was quite an ordeal, but I couldn't watch what she was doing from where I was prying from. Is there any way the filter or something may have moved, and the dip stick is hitting the filter?

Not having two cars tomorrow will put us in a bind, but I don't know what else to look at. Any suggestions of how to get the transmission fluid reading correctly would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
First you don't want to overfill the transmission. Generally, the filter is hard plastic on the top, so if your dipstick were hitting it, which is not likely you'd feel it. It's possible it moved but I have never had an issue with that. Of, course the newer vehicles often don't have a dipstick, You fill it through the vent and check the side plug, but those are on smaller cars not your Tahoe.

I don't think your tube could or should have moved, but that's only going by what I know, and I am not young, so I've seen lots of transmissions. Its possible that more drained out then you thought? Of course the dipstick issue of 1/2 inch sounds like something has changed but I don't know what it might be.
Old October 29th, 2019, 11:54 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

the trans takes 12 qts but thats not including trans cooler and lines, could be 15qts with a flush. hows it reading now?
Old October 29th, 2019, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

I ended up putting in 15 quarts, and it's still only to the top of the cold mark. I took it to a transmission shop this morning, so I'll post back what they found. We couldn't go any longer without a second car - too many appointments in different directions. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old October 30th, 2019, 5:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by baskervi1
I ended up putting in 15 quarts, and it's still only to the top of the cold mark. I took it to a transmission shop this morning, so I'll post back what they found. We couldn't go any longer without a second car - too many appointments in different directions. Thanks for your suggestions.
I'd measure off a snake to the same length as your dipstick and see if it shows the same level of oil. That fluid has to be going somewhere, or the dipstick moved somehow.
Old October 31st, 2019, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

This was an interesting experience. We have a Chevy dealership 2 miles from the house, so I decided to take it there. They said the tube was bent, and that kept the dip stick from going all the way in. They were going to charge $693 to replace that, and I said no way. Oh yeah, they also said I needed front and rear shocks at $2,885 and new plugs and wires at $601. I've not taken a car to a dealership in many, many years, but I won't make that mistake again.

After replacing the filler tube, and transmission was about 1/2 quart low, so we're good now. There is no more sponginess when inserting the dip stick.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (October 31st, 2019)