Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

AirBag Deployment

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2012, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AirBag Deployment

I have a 2008 Tahoe. Yesterday I was run off the road and almost flipped. All side air bags deployed. The person did not stop to offer any help. I was still able to drive home due to there not being any damage to the vehicle, only a couple scrapes on the passenger rim. I was very lucky. The question that I have is today I went to drive it and it seems that there is an issue with the speed control. Can anyone tell me if there is a sensor that once the airbags deploy there is a safety mechanism that will not allow you to drive faster then 40 miles an hour. Once I get the 40 and try to continue to accelerate then the RPM's race up and there is no increase of speed.
I was also wondering if there is a way to reset the airbags controls. All 6 airbags deployed, front driver and passenger, both on the second row and both on the third row.
Old December 11th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Glad you didn't roll it. Not sure re: speed limiter. Doubt that if it is a limiter, then the rpms wouldn't go up w/ no speed increase.

Did you check tranny fluid?
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah I'm thinking if you went off the road any number of things could have happened to the underside... i'd check the linkage as well...

the service manual doesn't expand on to anything in the restraining portion...

Service Information
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1661037
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repairs and Inspections Required After a Collision
Accident With or Without Inflator Module Deployment - Component Inspections
Caution: Proper operation of the SIR sensing system requires that any repairs to the vehicle structure return the vehicle structure to the original production configuration. Not properly repairing the vehicle structure could cause non-deployment in a collision or deployment for conditions less severe than intended.

After any collision, inspect the following components as indicated. If you detect any damage, replace the component. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair or replace the mounting points and mounting hardware as needed.

• The steering column--Perform the steering column accident damage checking procedures. Refer to Steering Column Accident Damage Inspection .

• The instrument panel (I/P) knee bolsters and mounting points--Inspect the knee bolsters for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.

• The I/P brackets, braces, etc.--Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.

• The seat belts--Perform the seat belt operational and functional checks. Refer to Operational and Functional Checks .

• The I/P mounting points and brackets--Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.

• The roof rail and roof rail module mounting points--Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.

• The seats and seat mounting points--Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.

• Passenger seat bottom equipped with Passenger Presence System (PPS)--Check for any DTCs or problems that may cause the PPS not to function properly.

Accident With Frontal Air Bag Deployment - Component Replacement and Inspections
After a collision involving air bag deployment, replace the following components. If you detect any damage, replace the component. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair or replace the mounting points and mounting hardware as needed.

Important: The front passenger seat is equipped with a PPS, which detects an occupant. If the requirements for disabling the I/P air bag are met then the PPS will communicate with the SDM to disable/turn off the I/P air bag, even in a accident. For more information on the PPS refer to SIR System Description and Operation .

• Inflatable restraint front end sensors

• Inflatable restraint I/P module, if deployed and after performing the necessary inspections listed above

• Inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM)

• Inflatable restraint steering wheel module

• Inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil

• Seat belt pretensioners

Perform additional inspections on the following components:

• Steering wheel module coil and the coil wiring pigtail--Inspect for melting, scorching, or other damage due to excessive heat.

• Mounting points or mounting hardware for the I/P module, steering wheel module, SDM, front end sensors, seat belt pretensioners, and vehicle rollover sensor--Inspect for any damage and repair or replace each component as needed.

• Passenger Presence System (PPS) for damage to the wiring or pressure system

Accident With Side Air Bag Deployment - Component Replacement and Inspections
After a collision involving side air bag deployment, replace the following components:

• Inflatable restraint roof rail module, on the side of the impact.

• Inflatable restraint side impact sensors (SIS) (front/rear), on the side of the impact

• Inflatable restraint SDM

• Seat belt pretensioner, on the side of impact.

Perform additional inspections on the following components:

• Mounting points or mounting hardware for the SIS, roof rail module (left/right), and seat belt pretensioner on the side of impact--Inspect for any damage and repair or replace each component as needed.

• Mounting points or mounting hardware for the SDM and vehicle rollover sensor--Inspect for any damage and repair or replace each component as needed.

Sensor Replacement Guidelines
The SIR/side air bag sensor replacement policy requires replacing sensors in the area of accident damage. The area of accident damage is defined as the portion of the vehicle which is crushed, bent, or damaged due to a collision. An example of this would be a moderate collision where the front of the vehicle impacts a tree, if the vehicle has an SIR sensor mounted forward of the radiator, replace the SIR sensor.

• Replace the sensor whether or not the air bags have deployed.

• Replace the sensor even if the sensor appears to be undamaged.

Sensor damage which is not visible, such as slight bending of the mounting bracket or cuts in the wire insulation, can cause improper operation of the SIR/side air bag sensing system. Do not try to determine whether the sensor is undamaged. Replace the sensor. Also, if you follow a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) table and a malfunctioning sensor is indicated, replace the sensor.
Old December 12th, 2012, 1:32 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Richforte,
We're glad that you're okay after that experience! If you decide to get your vehicle checked into for any damages, let us know! Otherwise, we can look into whether or not that sensor you've mentioned is a feature if you would please send your question and the last 8 digits of your VIN to us via private message or email.

All the best,
Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service
Old December 12th, 2012, 8:43 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to call your insurance company. All those air bags must be replaced. The crash sensor that deployed the bags needs to replaced. Sometimes after bag deployment the air bag computer need to be replaced. You are looking at several thousand dollars in repairs.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 This just happened today with my husband driving down a paved road at aprox 40 miles an hour, he said he heard an explosion like a shot gun went off, then his seatbelt locked up on him, smoke filled the cab and his emergency lights began to flash. Thankfully there were no other cars around because he was very disoriented for a few seconds, he was able to pull over but had to struggle to get the seat belt off. When he called the dealership they seemed to know right away what had happened. He was told that his airbag module located under the front seat was most likely corroded (we live in Northern Michigan) from snow and salt. Now both of the seat belts driver and passenger side are inoperable, he was told he would have to replace the airbag module and both seat belt mechanisms and possible the airbag.... Of course the vehicle is no longer under warranty so this will be at our cost. This is such a safety issue, I am thankful he is okay, only bruised from seat belt and that there was no other vehicles around where he may have caused an accident. WHY WHY WHY is there not a recall if they know this is an issue??