Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Anyone seen an HVAC high pressure cutout switch completely blow out! Boom!

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2016, 12:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone seen an HVAC high pressure cutout switch completely blow out! Boom!

2001 Suburban with Front/Rear AC (rear controls). Recently replaced the compressor, dryer and orifice. Did a good flush. Held vacuum. Added R134A and all was good for maybe 2 hours of operation. Today the high pressure switch on the back of the compressor completely blew out! Including the snap ring! Boom! I suppose this could have been because of high pressure, or perhaps it was just installed (by me) insecurely. I'll never know.

I do know that just a couple of days ago I put gauges on it and ran it for like 20 minutes, and the gauges looked perfect. No high pressure.

On the other hand, since I did not replace the condenser, maybe some crud created a blockage. But you would think the cutout switch would stop the compressor before getting high enough to actually blow out the switch. Right?

Does anyone think the compressor is salvageable?