Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ariculating running boards workin opposite

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2014, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ariculating running boards workin opposite

I have a 2008 full size suburban LTZ, has a 5.3l auto, loaded up to include the articulating power running boards, when I got it the battery was bad so I replaced it, the running boards did not work at all when I got it, so after I replaced the battery I climbed under it to look and see what I could figure out. The frame rails were3 completely full of mud, so after several hours of undercarriage de musing I was able to unplug the motors on both sides, inspected them, all looked good, grounds all look good, cleaned all the moving parts and used white lithium aerosol grease to lube all joints. Checked fuses, all checked out. So the next step was to unlock the system, I followed the procedure, and both came down after unlocking them. But the next ignition cycle the drivers side went down while the doors on the drivers side were closed. Now the drivers side operates backwards, they are down with the doors closed, and up with the doors open......wth!

The passenger side works great as designed. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thank you in advance for your time
Old September 12th, 2014, 4:45 PM
CF Active Member

It sounds like you have had some fun repairing the steps. It is nice to hear that the motors are working, after your cleanup / service.

You should try and reset the power assist system and go through the relearn process. The system is activated through the door switch. If the relearn does not work, you may want to check the door switches.

The process is:

Open all front and rear doors.
Set the parking brake.
Find the running board disable switch located on the center console below the HVAC climate control system.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position, with the engine off, and toggle the disable switch three times within 20 seconds to activate the power running boards.
Close all doors.
Open the left front or left rear door and the running board on the left side should articulate out.
Close the left front or left rear door and the running board should articulate in.
Open right front or right rear door and the running board on the right should articulate out.
Close the right front or right rear door and the running board should articulate in.
The articulating running boards will now operate when opening either the front or rear doors on that side of the vehicle. A power retract operation of the running boards will occur with the closing of both doors on that side of the vehicle.
Old September 16th, 2014, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Unfortunately the relearn does nothing, I have been trying to find a wiring diagram so I can just simply reverse the polarity. Does anyone know what the 5 wires are?

Thanks again
Old September 16th, 2014, 7:08 PM
CF Active Member

The steps are manufactured by Amp Research. This is a link to their site.
Quality AMP Research Powerstep & Truck Running Boards | AMP Research

I know that in some cases the controller can get confused and requires reprogramming at the dealer. Hopefully this is not the case for you.

It is unfortunate that the relearn process did not work for you. You have come along way since you started working on it. Unfortunately, these steps can be a real pain outside of the southern states.