Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

rear bumper skin removal - 08 Suburban

Old December 11th, 2011, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear bumper skin removal - 08 Suburban

Someone just smacked the Suburban's rear bumper and the left rear light. The light is very easy to replace myself. I can get parts from the new GM Conquest program, where they get you the parts at below wholesale, to try and compete with the aftermarket manufacturers, in order to try to offset the $500 deductible. Thinking about taking off the bumper skin too. Basically letting the body shop just paint the new skin, and I'll install.

The question here is, is there a step by step procedure for removal of the rear bumper skin/cover? I see two bolts underneath, two on each side at the wheel well, one push tab on each side at the wheel well. Two 'hidden' bolts on each side, accessed from underneath, and then some bolts and clips when you open the rear cargo door. YOu also have to pull off each of the four backup sensors. Am I missing anything??
Old December 14th, 2011, 9:52 AM
CF Beginner

To the top
Old December 14th, 2011, 3:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Here you go

Does this help (see attachment)? Good Luck!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear Bumper Fascia Assembly.pdf (42.0 KB, 4734 views)
Old December 14th, 2011, 8:33 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

alchemist1: Welcome to the forum.

Don't forget to check the parking sensors.
Old December 15th, 2011, 6:49 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ChevyFreak
Does this help (see attachment)? Good Luck!!
Very helpful! Thanks! I see one bolt on the side of the bumper skin i hadn't counted on. One that goes sideways instead of up and through! Also one more question - does the step pad connect through all the way to the actual steel bumper, or does it just affix to the bumper cover? In other words, are there clips or something that have to be kept in mind? How do you access the clips?
Old December 15th, 2011, 7:05 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
alchemist1: Welcome to the forum.

Don't forget to check the parking sensors.
Looks like the easiest way to get to these is just pull the actual sensor out of the bumper skin (they're clipped in) instead of pulling the electrical connector off of the sensor? Someone had posted a nice diagram of these on the forum a few months back that I found.
Old December 15th, 2011, 9:06 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by alchemist1
Very helpful! Thanks! I see one bolt on the side of the bumper skin i hadn't counted on. One that goes sideways instead of up and through! Also one more question - does the step pad connect through all the way to the actual steel bumper, or does it just affix to the bumper cover? In other words, are there clips or something that have to be kept in mind? How do you access the clips?
I'll just attach another file. It's much easier to explain when you have something to reference. The step pad is just on the bumper itself, and is held on by clips. The PDF file explains how to take it off.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear Bumper Fascia Step Pad.pdf (54.7 KB, 2471 views)
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ChevyFreak
I'll just attach another file. It's much easier to explain when you have something to reference. The step pad is just on the bumper itself, and is held on by clips. The PDF file explains how to take it off.
Thanks! So since it is attached directly to the bumper, thru the bumper skin, it would seem it has to come off first, before bumper skin. But the instructions clearly say to remove the bumper cover first, then the step pad. Am I missing something??
Old December 15th, 2011, 3:05 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by alchemist1
Thanks! So since it is attached directly to the bumper, thru the bumper skin, it would seem it has to come off first, before bumper skin. But the instructions clearly say to remove the bumper cover first, then the step pad. Am I missing something??
The pages I am providing you with are coming out of a service manual that I have. Unfortunately, more times then not, I feel as though I am reading foreign language. The directions are so vague I find myself asking more questions than having answers.

Anywho, I don't think it truly matters in what order you do it. I could be wrong, but it seems like it should come off either way. The step pad is merely attached to the rear plastic "bumper", and not anything underneath it. If you pull the rear plastic "bumper" off, that step pad will come with it. It's almost like one piece. That is, until you separate the step pad from the plastic.