Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Backup camera problem

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2009, 9:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Backup camera problem

Hi all. My first thread and I'm asking for help. The backup camera on my 2007 LTZ is not working. When you put it in reverse, the screen comes on and is black. The little warning at the top is on but nothing else. I took it to the dealer and they said the module was bad. I replaced the module under the seat and that didn't fix it. Is there any other module to replace? Thanks for all responses.
Old January 16th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. Should be someone here that can help.
Old January 16th, 2009, 9:02 AM
CF Junior Member

I hope so because the dealer had no clue...
Old January 16th, 2009, 9:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you just replace the module yourself or did the dealer do it. If you installed it yourself the module might need to programed to vehicle with the tech 2.
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:28 PM
CF Junior Member

I replaced it myself. I talked to the service manager today and he wasn't much help. He did say it did not need to be programed.
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I take it that it's out of warranty?
Old January 17th, 2009, 8:19 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sometimes we need to go back to the basics.....even the most simple things are overlooked. This has happened so often that GM has release a bulletin on it.....see below

Subject:Rear Vision Camera In-Operative

Models:2007 -2009 Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV
2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban
2007-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Denali XL
With Navigation radio and Rear Camera System (RPO - UVC)

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIT3862F.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2196987&from=sm#ss1-2196987">Condition/Concern:

Some customers may experience a condition with the rear vision camera being inoperative or having a blank screen when shifting into reverse. You will also notice a disclaimer at the top of the screen but the rest of the screen is black.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2196987&from=sm#ss2-2196987">Recommendation/Instructions:

Check the rear vision camera on/off selection in the customer selectable menu settings.
Press the Menu Hard key then select the Display soft key on Chevrolet and GMC Models or Press the Config Hard key then select the Display soft key on Escalade Models

To verify the rear camera setting, touch the Rear Camera Options soft key. If the bullet is blue, it is turned off and will not display the rear vision image from the camera. To turn on the Rear Camera Image in Reverse, touch the soft key. An Orange bullet indicates the camera is turned on when in Reverse.

Old January 17th, 2009, 8:23 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is another bulletin of interest.....

#06-08-127-002: UVC Rear Vision Camera System Inoperative (Inspect for Missing CPA Retainer and/or Properly Seated Connector/Connection at Camera) - (Nov 9, 2006)

Subject:UVC Rear Vision Camera System Inoperative (Inspect for Missing CPA Retainer and/or Properly Seated Connector/Connection at Camera)

Models:2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2007 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL
with Rear View Camera (RPO UVC)

<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1871869&from=sm#ss1-1871869">Condition

Some customers may comment on a condition with the rear vision camera having a blank screen when shifting into reverse. You will also notice a disclaimer at the top of the screen but the rest of the screen is black.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1871869&from=sm#ss2-1871869">Cause

A connector position assurance (CPA) retainer may be missing from the connector at the camera connector.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1871869&from=sm#ss3-1871869">Correction

Examine the connection at the rear view camera wiring harness connector. Inspect for bent / backed out pins or a missing CPA retainer in the rear view camera connector. Repair or replace as necessary. Refer to Object Detection Connector End Views, Connector 9 Rearview Camera (UVC) in SI.
Inspect for a missing CPA retainer by performing the following steps:
  1. [*]
Old January 18th, 2009, 3:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. The unit display is set to the on position. I bought this Tahoe used (71000 miles) and one of the things I noticed was the rear trim piece above the license plate was loose before I bought it. I told them to fix that and I think they may have messed up the connection to the camera while they were working. The service manager said they would check that for free next week. So that is my next move. Thanks again for the informative response. If they don't fix it, I'll be taking off the liftgate panel and checking it out.
Old January 21st, 2009, 3:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Got back from the dealer and they said everything is fine so far as connected goes. They really didn't know what to do other than just start working on it until they found something. I really wasn't interested in giving them a blank check to go to work with so I'm back here. One of the posts I found here said if you got this blank screen, that you weren't getting power to the camera. What wires on the plug in the power module would carry power to the camera?

Quick Reply: Backup camera problem